looking for OSD advice. iOSD mini or ???

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been learning to fly my Phantom 2 w/Zenmuse 3D while researching FPV options. Currently thinking to get the Immersion 400mw or 600mw Tx. But I'm not sure about the OSD. Do most folks use the iOSD Mini? If not, what's your OSD of choice, and why? (Better info, lighter weight, other?)

And for those using the iOSD Mini, are you mounting it internally by rerouting the CAN bus connector from the strut to inside the shell?

All input appreciated.

Thanks

well i haven't received mine yet but i think and im pretty sure that i will mount it next to my fatshark TX outside the shell. since i have the plug n play cable it will be os much easier. i have the iosd mini.

cheers

you absolutely want an iOSD Mini... I mean, you absolutely want OSD info because once you start flying FPV, you want all that data on the screen, even if only for battery level but there's so much more valuable info there (height/distance, flight mode GPS/ATTI, home point indicator, etc)

and the DJI iOSD Mini is the one that is designed to work with and integrates the easiest with a P2, it's basically plug and play although you do probably want to move the CAN-BUS connector up into the body for an internal iOSD mount. I can elaborate more on this if you don't know or want me to..

check the "lowest prices" stickythread for the best price we can find on them currently.

Hello everybody ! What do I need for an iOSDmini to put on my Phantom 1.1.1 (last version ) (cables , connectors ,etc ) , most simple mount , because I am a newbie in electronics . I want everything to be powered from my main battery 3S 2700 mAh . I do not have any gimbal . I have a uncomplicated DJI Ph. , with a Mobius as recording cam , and a future setup for FPV with a Sony 600TVL , mini 200mw VTx , Boscam 5802 or 5812 , Boscam antennas . Thank you

For IOSDmini in a P1 or FC40 you will need a PMU V2 (which provides a canbus), which you need to (simply) solder to your main board (actually bypasses your main board except for the power distribution). After that it is a plug and play install of the IOSD. You can do a search (I'm sure I read a post here about that) for a direct install/soldering of the IOSDmini, slightly more complicated but doable for most people.

On the P2 the IOSDmini is just plug and play for which you don't even have to open up the shell, the canbus is on one of the legs.

Mounting of IOSDmini is simple, with velcro or double sided tape, to the underside, it doesn't weigh much and is very small.

lake_flyer said:
On the P2 the IOSDmini is just plug and play for which you don't even have to open up the shell, the canbus is on one of the legs.

Mounting of IOSDmini is simple, with velcro or double sided tape, to the underside, it doesn't weigh much and is very small.

You are of course correct, not saying you aren't but it's also very easy to open up the shell and pull the can-bus connector up into the body for an internal iOSD mount which helps keep the cables even more tidy :)
#options

lake_flyer said:

Not only tidy QYV but less drag. Less drag more fight time.

Or skip the PMU V2 and change the main board witch would be lighter .

jason said:
lake_flyer said:

Not only tidy QYV but less drag. Less drag more fight time.

I have thought about that but my flying times are the same after installing IOSD mini outside with all cables, plugs etc hanging outside as well. The drag factor for a few tiny cables is totally overrated. A Phantom doesn't have a lot to gain from lowering drag. Weight is the decisive factor.

Also, flight times don't differ that much when there's is a little wind more or less (stormy is different of course). Found out long ago that hovering around gives the same flight time as gently flying around. So drag is not a big factor unless you want to go full throttle all the way and upwind you might save seconds when everything is tucked away inside. Looks a lot nicer though. But having to open up the shell every time I wanted to change something, was not a good idea (searching for the best place for the Tx, optimum reception, lowest interference, etc, and hitting the sweet spot takes a while).

And if you need to update the IOSDmini firmware or you want to change the OSD parameters (you may want to try the different settings) you once again have to open it up since you can't get to the USB port!

750r said:
Or skip the PMU V2 and change the main board witch would be lighter .

correct.

Or you can attach IOSD directly, without swapping main board or adding a PMU. But you need to know how to solder.

There was a thread somewhere about this, I recall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31