Looking for drone operator in Santa Barbara tomorrow

Reaction score
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place,
there are a few members of this board that I see live in Santa Barbara. We're shooting a video for a local school tomorrow in the area and are in need of a drone operator. We have our own Hero4 if necessary. This is a paying gig and with lots of fun kids! Please respond if you are available. Thank you!

Ben

bwinter88 said:
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place,
there are a few members of this board that I see live in Santa Barbara. We're shooting a video for a local school tomorrow in the area and are in need of a drone operator. We have our own Hero4 if necessary. This is a paying gig and with lots of fun kids! Please respond if you are available. Thank you!

Ben
I'm in SB and possibly available tomorrow, I'll send you a PM.

I'm not even in the US. Just thought the original poster would want to know as it's not really well publicised.

landwomble said:
I'm not even in the US. Just thought the original poster would want to know as it's not really well publicised.

Not well publicized? It's not even true.

AFAIK unless you have FAA approval, you can't fly for commercial purposes. And FAA approval is not, generally, happening...

Yea you can't 'drone for payment' either in the UK or the States without a license.

However if the OP wanted to make a 'donation' that is a totally different story. ;)

This rule is ridiculous. I know the FAA is working on it, but is there a way to learn more about the exemption process?

Also - question - if part of my business is photography - - - and I"m paid for still shooting - can I do drone photo/video for free - without adding cost - or is that still commercial use??

its considered commercial use

Ugh, let it go already. Every link and facet of the legality debate has been beaten to death to no avail. There a 1,000 other threads where you can carry on rehashing the same argument over and over and over.

BobUnplugged said:
landwomble said:
It's not legal to get paid unfortunately for drone work. It's legal if it's unpaid though...

Are you a cop?

One doesn't need to be a LEO to know that, for now, commercial use of drones IS illegal if you are compensated.

On a gloat note, it looks like I'll be getting my commercial drone license this weekend. Yay me! :lol:

PhantomFanatic said:
One doesn't need to be a LEO to know that, for now, commercial use of drones IS illegal if you are compensated.

Your unqualified opinion may be appreciated more in one of the many many existing threads debating the legality of commercial use.

You could not get paid for the drone flying or photos, but one could get paid for photography consultation and simply give the photos/video away for free. Or better yet, if you know an ancient Chinese cave Shaman you might be able to sell magical blessed paper clips for $250 each as a separate gig and simply do drone photography for free.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1