Looking for alternitive antennas for my AVL5.8 setup

Reaction score
Currently running the standard clover leaf ant. that come with the DJI AVL5.8 setup (both RX and TX).

What would be a good replacement set or just the receiver side? I have an intermittent problem with my RX side and also looking to upgrade to increase range/quality .

Thanks in advance.

I attached a link to the set I purchased from FPVLR.com. I use this set on my AVL58 TX with the 32CH Black Pearl and I am completely satisfied with them. I haven't gone beyond 400m high and 400m out from the transmitter but I haven't had any video drop out issues. I understand you only want the receiver side and the link provided is for a set of three. Either way I would contact FPVLR.com for you needs and be sure that your getting the correct connectors for your receiver. Hope this helps!

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

jsob said:
I attached a link to the set I purchased from FPVLR.com. I use this set on my AVL58 TX with the 32CH Black Pearl and I am completely satisfied with them. I haven't gone beyond 400m high and 400m out from the transmitter but I haven't had any video drop out issues. I understand you only want the receiver side and the link provided is for a set of three. Either way I would contact FPVLR.com for you needs and be sure that your getting the correct connectors for your receiver. Hope this helps!

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

+1.

I did this and it really improved the distance and clarity.

I bought a different FPV monitor but later realized that I didn't really need to do that. My setup from B&H Photo came with a monitor with a single port for an antenna. I thought it would work best if I used a monitor that would hold two antennas and could therefore use all three antennas from fpvlr. I sold the stock monitor on eBay and bought a boscam monitor that has two antenna ports and when the monitor is running on diversity mode, it selects the strongest signal. I've noticed, however, that it picks up on the fpvlr helix antenna nearly all the time. Maybe it picks up on the pinwheel antenna about 5% of the time when I am right by the quad. SO, all that said......I don't think you gain a whole lot of benefit by using a dual antenna port monitor if that is not what you already have. If you have a single port monitor, just use the helix antenna.

FWIW, I used my old receiver module for the AVL58 (it came with my kit and was not being used since the monitor has a receiver) and stock antenna and attached it to a VC500 mac hooked it to my laptop. If I have a guest or friend nearby when I fly, they can watch the video on the laptop so they can "see" what I see.

Thanks guys will check it out when I get home

Order placed will post my followup when I get the new setup

thanks again

The FPVLR's are indeed amazing. I have basically that same kit and just today I went out to 600m with just the pinwheel on the Rx. I then swapped over to the helix and got rock solid video out just over 1650 meters, that's just over a mile.

This was of course in a low-to-zero interference environment on the side of a mountain in a tiny western MA town :)

oh and I currently have my TS353 installed, not a TS352

Just received my setup and noticed the TX side is longer and does not fit with my stock landing gear. Does anyone else have this issue?

I have the AVL5.8 mounted so the antenna connector points out at you if you looking at the battery of the Phantom 2. The TX Antenna has a 90 degree end on the set I purchased if I were to let it point straight down it would touch the ground so, I just rotate it so it ends up just behind the left rear leg of the landing gear. I also have to make sure it is tight enough so that it doesn't end up pointing straight down by the time I'm done flying so it doesn't hit the ground when landing.

Thanks jsob, wanted to make sure I did not get the wrong ant.

Quick test this am and got an easy 635M out at about 45M high. Much better then my stock setup. Now I just need to play around and find the best channel(s) to use.

rudedog said:
Just received my setup and noticed the TX side is longer and does not fit with my stock landing gear. Does anyone else have this issue?

I believe this is intentional. You actually want the lobe to hang down lower than the landing gear so that when the Phantom is facing TOWARDS you, the signal isn't completely blocked by the gimbal/gopro.
Taller landing gear is of course an option, but I just either launch from the edge of something like a wooden table or rock (I try to avoid metal, at least until GPS has locked) or hand launch if you have an assistant :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl