Looking for advice on extra P3S

Reaction score
I bought a P3S at full price a little while back and it came with a free backpack($150). Flew 3 times. A couple days later DJI celebrated their anniversary and introduced the 4K and dropped the price of the S and A. I bought the P3A for $799. I intended on waiting for the sale to end and sell the P3S for $600 or so and recoup most of my money. I justified the money I'd lose on the transaction by the fact that I got the backpack for free. As it turns out (and I should have seen coming) it was a permanent price drop. So now I have a like new PS3 which is selling for $500 brand new.

I am here to ask for advice. I see my options are to either sell the PS3 for about $450 or so and just eat the loss, keep it as a parts bird assuming much of it is compatible with the P3A (my shell already has motor mount cracks) or part it out and sell it. I could sell RC, motors, gimbal, camera etc all separately.

What do you guys think is the most profitable route to take? Thanks very much.

EDIT- I should add that I don't intend to upgrade to the P4. The only thing I want from the P3 that it doesn't have is retractable landing gear but still, I'm keeping the P3 no matter what.

Last edited:
Personally, I would keep the P3S. It will be hard to get $450 for it, and also a second Phantom you might find handy. If you crash the P3A, you have a craft to fly while waiting for parts/repairs. Also, if you crash and/or lose the P3A, you can use the P3S for search and rescue.

+1

If you are intent on recouping some of your money, I'd sell as a whole. If you part out, some things may go quick that are "common" across all Phantom 3s, But in the end you'll be left with parts only usable by another "S". And you'll have only 200 bucks in your pocket.

I would think about what is the lowest I'd take, advertise it here, craigslist, or whatever free site to sell, then put it at 400 USD and leave room to negotiate.

But as state in the below response I'd just keep it.

Personally, I would keep the P3S. It will be hard to get $450 for it, and also a second Phantom you might find handy. If you crash the P3A, you have a craft to fly while waiting for parts/repairs. Also, if you crash and/or lose the P3A, you can use the P3S for search and rescue.

Thanks for the replies. You really have me thinking.... I do fly in a couple of different ways. The first is normal filming, for clips I can edit into videos, and then there's photography. Both better suited for the Advanced utilizing GloNass and a higher quality sensor. The second kind of flying is based on Litchi Autonomous flights. I have a large marsh and state land behind my house and I often send the P3 on missions miles long. I lose video signal even with lightbridge. Plus the video doesn't have to be as crisp because it's as much about the journey as the video itself anyway.

You may have just talked me into keeping it. I was just about to order a 3rd battery today too! Saves me a $100+.

Having both an "S" and an "A", the "S" does have some limitations but it really depends on what you plan to do with your Quad. I think the "S" is great if you aren't going VLOS. I've not had any issues with mine but I don't live or fly in a dense city environment On FB today, some guy posted to the Phantom page there some GREAT surfing video all shot with the "S"...

Idk why the standard is hated so much... poor thing... lol

Well, if you want to sell it for 400.00, I might be interested.. Mine had a connection malfunction at 20' and flew into the neighbor's house.. Cracked everything.. So, I will be parting that out.. Anyway, I will keep looking..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, if you want to sell it for 400.00, I might be interested.. Mine had a connection malfunction at 20' and flew into the neighbor's house.. Cracked everything.. So, I will be parting that out.. Anyway, I will keep looking..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I sold it to a friend months ago. Sorry.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20