Looking for a Specific P3 Standard Case

Reaction score
You guys have been very helpful to me with the questions I've been asking... so I do have one more:

I am looking to be able to transport my P3 Standard on airplanes. I need a case (non-backpack) that I'll be able to put my bird in. I use the Summitlink snap-on/off prop guards. I realize that, due to the connecting hardware for these, that I will likely have to modify the foam in any case I get - no big deal.

I also don't mind if I have to take the props themselves off to transport, if needed.

But am biggie for me is to have a case that will be carry-on eligible. Delta's (who I normally fly) website states that the allowable dimensions are 22 x 14 x 9 (45 lineral inches allowed). I found a case that was 23x16x10 - 4 inches too big.

I realize that those measurements are close, and I'd likely be able to carry it on - but there is a risk that I wouldn't be able to - and I don't want to get to the airport and have a carry-on nazi not allow me to bring it on. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would think, based on the cases I've seen, that the width of the case could accomodate the 14x9 with some re-engineering by the manufacturer. I'm thinking the biggest issue could be the height.

Anyone had any luck with cases that TSA/airlines will allow to be carried on?

Last edited:
Anyone had any luck with cases that TSA/airlines will allow to be carried on?

FYI-

I'm at the airport now. I bought the DJI hardshell backpack and it's fantastic. Lots of room for batteries, charger, etc. I know it's expensive but if anybody else is reading and they're on the fence I'd strongly suggest trying it. Everything is perfectly cut out and nests securely in its place.

My drone and I have been through TSA several times without issue. I'd heard the battery (I have only two) has to be stored outside the drone but I've gone through TSA with the battery mounted and again with both batteries in their slot. I'd also heard horror stories of propellers being confiscated as "edged weapons" but so far I've not heard a peep. I"m not sure how *many* batteries you can take but there may be a limit (probably with about as much practical sense as the 4oz limit on toothpaste).

My understanding is the batteries *have* to be carried on due to the fire hazard. I've heard that the aircraft's luggage hold fire suppression system isn't designed for Li battery fires. If something goes wrong in the overhead the cabin crew can access the storage area and suppress the fire.

I've never tried to check it though...Not sure I'd want to. I've seen the way bags get (understandably) tossed about on the carts, etc.

This might work, it is 1 inch off but I don't think they will make you check because it is smaller on the other two measurements.
GPC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31