Looking for a cheap alternative to a go-pro

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently have a go pro 3 with my dji, which works nicely. However, I really need a camera without a wide angle lense. It would need to have the time lapse function like the go pro and of course be mountable on the phantom.......and I don't want to spent much money either !

Any suggestions ?

If I would have to buy a cheap Gopro clone right now I would go for the SJ4000 it sells for around 80 bucks. The latest version even has a very fast wifi that enables you to do FPV with a smartphone ala FC40 (if you have a FC40, don't use wifi on a P2 or a P1 of course). The wifi of Gopro has too much lag.

I had the SJ4000 and I loved it. I lost it when my first RCLogger Quad dropped into the lake. The video's were actually better in color and sharpness then the shots I take with my new Gopro H3+SE, which is 3 times as expensive. (maybe I have the Gopro H3+ infinity issue...) Nice feature from the SJ4000 is that you can adjust the white balance and it has a bright preview screen. It also shoots pretty good in low light conditions. 1080P with 30fps is really all you need for decent clips.

And it comes with a ton of extra stuff and adapters that you can also use for a gopro. That alone is worth half of the camera itself. The gopro is better build quality of course. The sj4000 scratches a bit easier. But the video's are great.

http://www.banggood.com/SJcam-SJ4000-WiFi-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-Novatek-Waterproof-p-939976.html

Thanks guys.
I have the gopro 3 White, which is the most basic model. I don't believe I can change the fov on this model, at least not for photo capture.
I'll have a look at the sj4000.....or maybe trade in for a gopro 3 black.

Cheers.

That's not the original SJcam 4000 but a different product that i don't know about. It is a competitor. But looks nice though.

Hey Lem,
thanks for that link mate.
I have just ordered 2. I was looking to get 2 more gopro 3+ But this will do the job fine.
I use my goprp3+ black on the phantom and will use the sj5000's for 4 wheel driving mounts which will give a nicer all round final cut video from all angles. From what I have found so far, I can use the gopro bits and battery in the sj5000. Plus it comes with the waterproof case and accessories. VERY CHEAP. Also handy is the fact that the sj5000 will work with fpv. So if by chance i break the gopro I can mount these cheap units in its place.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj