Looking at Tablet

Reaction score
May be a stupid question, I am looking to get either an iPad Mini 3 or the iPad Mini 4 with Cellular for the GPS functionality for use with my P3S. Although my Asus ZenFone 3 works fine, would just love the bigger screen.

Do I need to have the cellular service activated on the iPad for the map updates? This would add $10/mo to my cellular phone bill.

Thanks.

May be a stupid question, I am looking to get either an iPad Mini 3 or the iPad Mini 4 with Cellular for the GPS functionality for use with my P3S. Although my Asus ZenFone 3 works fine, would just love the bigger screen.

Do I need to have the cellular service activated on the iPad for the map updates? This would add $10/mo to my cellular phone bill.

Thanks.

I have a iPad mini 3 wifi/cell 16gb that I use with my P3P, it works great. Get the 4 if it's not a ridiculously amount of money and get either 32 or 64 GB, u will definitely want more storage. If you want to use any of the futures like, follow me or get maps in the field u want a cell plan..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: MitchellNeal
No you do not need a contract for the gps function to work.
I use an ipad mini 4, but I have a cheap pay as you go sim. I t will work without the sim.

Scooby464, l purchased an iPad mini 4 with cellular and wifi to use with my controller for my P3Pro last year and I have been very pleased that I did. Mine is only 16 gigabytes and I wish I had purchased one with at least 32 gigabytes. I use a sunshade as well and the mount was just barely able to grip my mini iPad 4, so I used Velcro to help secure the sunshade and the iPad to the controller.
50ba6e2dcc09c2fc6f3ccc03ef0cdb1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Consider the Nvidia shield K1 tablet. Same size as the iPad mini, great performance, and has GPS built in. And it's only 199

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Thanks.
If you want to update maps in the field, you obviously would need internet access. You can get internet access a couple of ways such a data plan on your iPad or by tethering from your phone. If the former, then yes you would need a data plan (cell service) on your iPad. If the latter, then no you would not need a data plan for your iPad.

Alternatively, if you choose to cache your maps at home or while connected to wifi prior to flying you would not need a data plan on your iPad.

Also, maps are not required to fly though many choose to use them.

Whichever you choose, if you have a GPS enable iPad model you WILL be able to use the optional features such as FOLLOW ME and resetting your home point to the location of your RC.

For more info on what you may expect with various iPad situations, click here. Note however that you posted this thread in the Pro/Adv forum so I can't say with certainty that everything you read here also applies to your P3S.

Cheers!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1