Longer stick, better Yaw control with stopper

Reaction score
I was thinking if the control stick was longer, you would have better control. After checking out the controller, I found the the knobs are 2 pieces and you can screw them out a bit and lock them in place again giving you the longer stick for better control. I haven't gone out and tried it as it is dark here, but I know it will help a bit. Now I just need a new phone to keep up with the FPV instead of hold up a heavy iPad. Lol

Re: Longer stick, better Yaw control

Yeah I brought up awhile back as well. Glad to see you freshen the thought again.

flyNfrank said:
Yeah I brought up awhile back as well. Glad to see you freshen the thought again.

This is a big forum and probably most stuff has been posted, but it is also too large to look through it all.

Have you tried it and did it help at all?

The other thing I saw somewhere was to put some extra tension on the control sticks.
If you open the transmitter up you will find each direction control has an adjuster,4 in total.
If you screw them in the sticks get more tension.
It's not a massive amount but that extra bit of tension does make a difference.

I would like a little stopper stuck on the controller so you can only push the stick so far, it could be done with maybe some thick sticky tape....if I can find some. It would be nice to push it till it stops to get a steady pan because my fine motor skills suck, just to shaky for fine stuff like that.

Homemade yaw limiter from a piece of thicker rubber. Not pretty, but I can only move the stick a few degrees each way. If I need more movement, I can trim the bottom rubber some. I haven't tried it yet.....hopefully it helps with my shaky hands. It is the bottom rubber that hits the edge and limits my movement, the top one is just helping hold it in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 769
RedRyderMedia said:
I'm interested in improving this control too. Let us know what you find. Thanks!

Well, I guess it looked good on paper, here's the problem I found...you can't do a CSC. Lol. I think it would work, but you would have to be able to raise it out of the way for the CSC. Back to the drawing board.

MapMaker53 said:
You could add a couple of rounded stick-on rubber bumpers to the left and right of the yaw stick throw to limit its travel in just that direction. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd...gclid=CPb03sqQpsECFWVp7Aod4VwAGQ&gclsrc=aw.ds. That would still allow the stick to travel up and down as well as to the corner positions.

The link didn't work, but I understand what you mean. That could work, your drawing board is better than mine . Lol. Thanks.

Edit: link worked 2nd time, probably my connection.

I just looked at the controller, those bumpers won't work either. The way the sticks move, you can't have anything on the sides the way it is set up, it would have to be a removable stop....dang

You're right, Bister. Bumpers will not work. Extending the stick length creates a greater travel arc and therefore should make it a little less sensitive/reactive to the same amount of thumb movement. Haven't tried it yet though.

MapMaker53 said:
You're right, Bister. Bumpers will not work. Extending the stick length creates a greater travel arc and therefore should make it a little less sensitive/reactive to the same amount of thumb movement. Haven't tried it yet though.
I learned it is better for me to fly after a couple of whiskey's not coffee's. Lol. Way to shaky with fine motor skills after coffee. :D

I flew a very large piece of industrial property today and needed to yaw while flying and filming. I had extended the left stick to its maximum length before taking to the air and found it significantly easier to give my bird a slow yaw. You still have to be pretty gentle with the stick, but it seemed a lot less sensitive with the greater throw distance. I didn't bother lengthening the right stick since I'm okay with its current sensitivity.

Looking forward to trying this out - thanks for the tip. Do you secure the partially unscrewed portion of the stick or just try not to unintentionally unscrew it all the way while flying?

The stick grip is actually in two pieces. Screw the top half up as far as possible (leaving it on maybe 1/8"-1/4" of thread) and then tighten/screw the bottom half up to it to lock it in place.

Ah ha. It sure is. Cool. Thanks again for the tip. Looking forward to some nice slow yawing... :)

What about a cyclic ring?
Something like in the picture below
Shape it more in a C
And this is for the the left stick not the right per picture

c_ring.jpg

Just a quick note that may not be evident immediately, but will be when you're in the situation I was in yesterday.

I extend my sticks too for that more delicate feel, left and right both. Yesterday I was flying over water, about 20 feet up, doing some lazy loops, sweeps and flybys. All was good until in this one bank, the bottom seemed to just sag out of my copter, perhaps it was a touch of prop wash. I recognized right away that it was losing bite so throttled up hard. Of course with an extended stick the result wasn't as aggressive as I would have liked and the copter only clawed its way back up a mere 1-2 feet from the water surface. Too close for comfort.

I guess this is the trade-off when you extend your sticks.

As long as you push the stick all the way there should be no difference in power. However, stick movement will feel slightly greater (bigger arc) to reach max. But it think it is something one can easily get used to with a few flights. Experienced fliers might want the tighter more responsive lower stick position for greater agility. Just another aspect for people to experiment with.

Credit the OP (Bister) for discovering that the stick knob had two pieces and was adjustable. I had no idea until I saw his post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr