Longer Range Modification (With Pictures)

Reaction score
I really want to try and get a couple of miles distance between my home point and quad, I have a Phantom FC40 with 2.4Ghz transmitter and receiver from DJI, no spectrum or anything, all phantom gear, and I've seen people buying cables to install in there transmitters so they can attach any antenna. I got the cable, but upon opening my controller I noticed that it wasn't the same as other peoples and that I would have to solder on my cable. I did and now my range is terrible. Anyone got any suggestions? Did I do it wrong or do I need to get a new controller!??!?!?! Please help me!!

Here is my connection inside my transmitter: http://gyazo.com/0090d3139b5cda7c9297f991a4b0d654

Ugh I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with this :(

I made the same mistake, ending up buying a new one which I will not mess with. What model is your TX, SR5, DJ6 or PVT581? I've never heard of a FC40 with a 2.4 ghz tx and rx.

Woody said:
I made the same mistake, ending up buying a new one which I will not mess with. What model is your TX, SR5, DJ6 or PVT581? I've never heard of a FC40 with a 2.4 ghz tx and rx.

Thank you for the reply! Just to stop any confusion, yes my FC40 did come with 5.8 haha, I swapped out the receiver in my phantom for a 2.4 one and got a 2.4transmitter looking to do the range mod on it, but the connection was bound to the board :( It looks like the model is the SR6! Any advice? ;)

With RF connections, you need to keep the unshielded connection as short as possible, as it acts as part of the antenna and will knock it all out of balance, causing a mis-match, which will sap the power

I suggest you get someone with slightly better soldering skills to have another go at this, shortening the wiring, insulating the shield and getting a good, serviceable joint.

noiseboy72 said:
With RF connections, you need to keep the unshielded connection as short as possible, as it acts as part of the antenna and will knock it all out of balance, causing a mis-match, which will sap the power

I suggest you get someone with slightly better soldering skills to have another go at this, shortening the wiring, insulating the shield and getting a good, serviceable joint.

Ah, OK! Thank you! I will get someone else to take a look! Don't suppose you know if my controller is an old version do you? You know, most people can buy a cable and attach it with a connector to the board, but with mine I have to solder it on!?

I seem to remember mine is soldered too and it's a fairly new Phantom2

A soldered joint is better than a connector, as you won't get impedance jumps and signal reflections - both things that affect the output power and stability.

noiseboy72 said:
I seem to remember mine is soldered too and it's a fairly new Phantom2

A soldered joint is better than a connector, as you won't get impedance jumps and signal reflections - both things that affect the output power and stability.

You would be an angel if you could take apart your controller and provide me with a picture for some guidance!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20