Longer antennas.

Same principle as the MaxUAV, DBlite antennas. Forgot about this configuration - this would make trying to change the resonant multiple even less feasible so my guess is that if it is anything other than plastic, it just a parasitic element that is too narrow to be useful (pattern wise - you increase the horizontal width of the beam by making the antenna wider).
No, it is not plastic. It is an actual PC board with copper traces. I scratched of some of the coating to see the copper. Also the wires solder directly to the board (antenna).

But I think they just slip on to the stock antennas, so it really couldn't be a longer version of the current ones. And yes, you're right, longer verticals would be problematic when trying to fold them into any sort of carrying device.
The ones the OP posted replace the stock antennas. You have to open the transmitter and replace the antenna cables just like the ArgTek. These screw on.

We use quarter wave antenna's, Im not sure exactly why, but I think its to achieve omni directionality. I guess this page explains: Microwaves101 | Quarter-wave Tricks but Im not going to pretend I understand.
In fact the antenna is made of 4 1/8 wave folded dipoles, it is half of the total length of the dipole that is the effective length. You can see in Dipole antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia info about dipoles and at section Dipole arrays there info about the type of standard antenna used in the RC. This arrangent create more gain perpendicular to the antenna, this is why it is important to correctly orient even the stock antenna.

On mine, each one is about 32 mm (1.3") length so that more or less match the 125 - 120 mm (4.92 - 4.72") wave length at 2.4 to 2.5 GHz. It has to be an integer sub-multiple of the wave length, here it is a factor 8.
2016-08-18 10.38.37.jpg
2016-08-18 10.38.43.jpg

Reactions: Mark The Droner
In fact the antenna is made of 4 1/8 wave folded dipoles, it is half of the total length of the dipole that is the effective length. You can see in Dipole antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia info about dipoles and at section Dipole arrays there info about the type of standard antenna used in the RC. This arrangent create more gain perpendicular to the antenna, this is why it is important to correctly orient even the stock antenna.

On mine, each one is about 32 mm (1.3") length so that more or less match the 125 - 120 mm (4.92 - 4.72") wave length at 2.4 to 2.5 GHz. It has to be an integer sub-multiple of the wave length, here it is a factor 8.
View attachment 62478
View attachment 62479

Looking at the innards of the DJI's antennas, you think the ones I posted "the longer ones" would and should have the same flat design.
I mean mines are coming from China and if wanted to open those up, and I will.
I just hope not to see some flimsy piece of wire in there instead. Man, I would peed off!
[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Looking at the innards of the DJI's antennas, you think the ones I posted "the longer ones" would and should have the same flat design.
I just hope not to see some flimsy piece of wire in there instead. Man, I would peed off!
[emoji22]

Would be very interesting to see what is in. There are a lot of antenna type and even more variants for each. As soon you mount the SMA connectors on your RC, you can do some try.
I have currently the Itelite panel antenna and by curiosity I have ordered small antenna panel DJI Phantom 4 3 Prof Adv 7000m Enhanced Range Refitting Antenna DIY Signal Board
s-l1600 (3).jpg
I am currently searching for a good test place in my area. With the stock antenna I can do up to 3500 meters (2.2 miles), but that was in another country in full open area.

[emoji22]

Evaluating antenna performance based on look or appearance can be misleading.

There are many techniques and designs which achieve similar performance as measured in range testing or other controlled methods.

The bottom line: Antennas do not amplify signals, they are passive devices (no biasing, etc).

The gain factors spec-ed by vendors or manufacturers are all compared to an 'ideal' isotropic antenna (the 'i' in dBi).

This gain is achieved by shaping the beam and there are numerous tricks (ways) to achieve this. This shaping allows more energy to be directed to or received from a reduced area or section of 'space' as indicated by the gain factor. This is the basis of a 'Windsurfer' by creating beam shaping through the use of an external reflector.

The beam shape will also incorporate polarization which is important as it determines the proper or ideal alignment or orientation between the Tx and Rx stations.

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
So I bought these and of course am waiting for them in the mail.
Question is....Is it better to wrap these with copper wiring?
Does and will it make a difference in range?
Please and thank you.

c31ef7db74311693fdbc725bf8c4ea02_thumb.jpg

Never wrap antennas with wire. Totally kills its range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic