Longer antennas.

Reaction score
So I bought these and of course am waiting for them in the mail.
Question is....Is it better to wrap these with copper wiring?
Does and will it make a difference in range?
Please and thank you.

c31ef7db74311693fdbc725bf8c4ea02_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

RF engineering is a very specific branch of Electrical Engineering.
Do not wrap wire around your antennas to try and make them better than an engineer designed.

Google 'Windsurfer parabolic reflectors' for an accessory that will help improve range.

Reactions: Chasbro
So I bought these and of course am waiting for them in the mail.
Question is....Is it better to wrap these with copper wiring?
Does and will it make a difference in range?
Please and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Can you post a link of what you buy, the picture is so small. Area they removable ?

RF engineering is a very specific branch of Electrical Engineering.
Do not wrap wire around your antennas to try and make them better than an engineer designed.
I'm pretty sure the length of the antenna is also part of that engineering.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
This is true.
Resonance is critical.

Just trying to figure out how that was relevant to the question and my answer.

This is true.
Resonance is critical.

Just trying to figure out how that was relevant to the question and my answer.
I was just agreeing with you about engineering.

Sorry if I came off a bit dusted.

We do agree.

Reactions: sonof40
This looks like either 1) a total scam and they're just plastic and designed to look bigger (cause size always matters, right?) or 2) they have some sort of parasitic (reflector) element that increases forward gain at the expense of being omnidirectional. If that is the case, it's too narrow and it will be anything but omnidirectional. You can also wind some carefully measured wire around it to couple the antenna, increase it's electrical size and improve gain a bit. But at GHz frequencies, this really isn't very important or useful. TLDR; no 'wrapping in copper' isn't likely to do much except make a mess.

The fact that there is absolutely no technical description of what the antenna is and the language is Chinglish at it's best suggests your simply wasting money. As mentioned, go get a Windsurfer. The physics is understood quite well.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I am willing to bet that the stock antennas are better.
I took the stock antennas apart, pulled the sleeve off the base. There is a slim panel PC board inside.
fcfbfa8d1c422e1aacde233924899f4f.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same principle as the MaxUAV, DBlite antennas. Forgot about this configuration - this would make trying to change the resonant multiple even less feasible so my guess is that if it is anything other than plastic, it just a parasitic element that is too narrow to be useful (pattern wise - you increase the horizontal width of the beam by making the antenna wider).

I am willing to bet that the stock antennas are better.
I took the stock antennas apart, pulled the sleeve off the base. There is a slim panel PC board inside.
fcfbfa8d1c422e1aacde233924899f4f.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app
This looks like a collinear array of dipoles. It gets gain by compressing the vertical radiation angle. The antennas that Double_DoubleG bought probably have an additional set of dipoles. The problem with longer antennas is that when you have a tablet or phone mounted they can't be adjusted vertical enough. That is even a problem with the stock antennas.

I would be very interested to hear the results after installing these

Please keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This looks like a collinear array of dipoles. It gets gain by compressing the vertical radiation angle. The antennas that Double_DoubleG bought probably have an additional set of dipoles. The problem with longer antennas is that when you have a tablet or phone mounted they can't be adjusted vertical enough. That is even a problem with the stock antennas.
But I think they just slip on to the stock antennas, so it really couldn't be a longer version of the current ones. And yes, you're right, longer verticals would be problematic when trying to fold them into any sort of carrying device.

I'm pretty sure the length of the antenna is also part of that engineering.

Lengths of antennas are usually some fractional or integer multiple of the frequency of use wavelength because they work best at these lengths. So with the Phantoms, I think they use 2.4 Gigahertz and 5.8 Gigahertz. The wavelength at these frequencies is the speed of light (300 million meters per second) divided by the frequency in Hertz. For example, At 2.4 Gigahertz the wavelength is almost 5 inches, approximately the size of the Phantom antennas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.