Long startup time and IMU error help

Reaction score
I've only flown my P3A about 4 times but I have noticed that I get an IMU error please calibrate (or something like that). It also will take close to a minute before it will say it ok to fly. I've had no issues with it staying in one spot hovering. Today I was hovering about 200 feet up and it was as steady as if it was sitting on a table. Winds were around 7mph.
I looked up the IMU thing online and it directed me to do an IMU calibration. Found a nice video on YouTube. The guy said to get the phantom as cold as you can get it because once you turn it on it will start to warm up something and it will not sol as well for calibrating purposes. Also have my DJI app already opened to the IMU calibration page.
I live in south Texas and it doesn't get that cold even now it's 59F outside. The video said that this calibration will cure the startup time. I'm a going in the right direction by doing this.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yep -- everyone should do a cold IMU calibration.

Reactions: ObiDon
Ok, just one simple question, can I do IMU calibration outside? Its 39F outside right now.

Just keep flying.

I did my imu when i had it outside for 30 min. In 25-27 deg.
My p3p starts right up with no delay. Make sure you don't leave battery in when outside and imu calibration needs to be done on a level surface. I use a level on a large tile and shim it to get it as level as possible

Reactions: mikecorn1
I just did it. Took about 7 minutes. I turned everything off and back on. The phantom went from almost 1 minute to be ready for flight to less then 10 seconds it seemed like. Also, no more IMU error. Really , really quick. Like my brother's phantom.
Thanks for the help again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep -- everyone should do a cold IMU calibration.

What is the big issue with the refrigerator? I'm in FL, and even the evenings are above 72 deg. Is the refrigerator issue humidity? The refrigerator compartment is probably in the 40's, and could hold moisture. Anything below freezing won't have any humidity, but the air in the aircraft might, plus going from 72 to near 0 deg instantly is rude on contraction rates.

I don't see why the regular refrigerator compartment is so bad. Why? Thanks!

Old thread. Fridge is just suggestion. When I did it. I simply placed it in front of air conditioner a few mins. Now all is in seconds. No need to do another. I'm also in Florida

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I always did it at room temperature in the morning which is about 55 F and never faced any issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4