Long exposures for night photos

Reaction score
So I'm about to try my Phantom3 professional on a skyline photo at night. I've heard tales of the P3 being capable of actually taking exposures like this as long as 6 seconds, which darn-near requires a tripod. Any of you have experience with success here, and is it necessary to push the ISO ASA all the way up into the noisy range to get a good night still photo, or is this possible at 200 or so? Any tips are appreciated.

I know the Phantom is incredibly stable but it isn't a tripod that's for sure!!!
I would guess any shutter speed over about 1/16th of a second would show blur but I would love to be proved wrong.
A lot depends on how still the air is as well of course.
Usually with digital cameras you can push iso to over 400 before you get bad effects.
Best way is to get out and try it - you dont have to fly the Phantom.

I do them as well. Best on no wind nights for sure. Just wait after any moves for it to settle. Take multiple 3 frame brackets of each Position to give more chance of a sharp one. Of course it can't be as sharp as a tripod- but I've been shocked at how sharp that can be. I try to lock the ISO at 100, but then will do some at 200 & 400- but they really do get noisy. Also you'll be setting the exposure comp to -2 stops or more for a night or dusk looking shot and not blowing out lights or windows in urban scenes.
Start shooting while there is still some light or color in the sky , not full Night.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438550727.599995.jpg

1/2 sec 1800' out and 200' approx high- over the river from Detroit....

View attachment 26384
1/2 sec 1800' out and 200' approx high- over the river from Detroit....
That looks amazing - would you mind sharing your settings?

In fact (sorry if this is a stupid question) can anyone tell me how I would go about configuring a 6 second exposure time? I can't seem to figure out which setting needs to be changed.
Thanks!

The attached is 1/6th sec at ISO 581 (I now, that seems strange!). I've had best luck right on dusk whilst you still have some colour in the sky, and give the P3 a moment to settle in the one spot, and shoot multiple images as you usually get a coupe that are good. It also helps if you know your way around photoshop/lightroom to get the best out of the dng file.
ArchF0314200dpiE.jpg

I was goofing off at my family's ranch in Central Montana last week and was really shocked at how well this 8 second exposure came out. Photo was taken about 2 hours after sunset from ~200 feet AGL. The P3 was directly over me and there was no wind. The shadows you see are from the almost full moon.

All gorgeous stuff guys!
As far as settings, lock your ISO at 100 or 200 for least noise, start shooting at dusk - sky equal or slightly darker than the lights, Set White Bal on Daylight at first, then try Tungsten when sky is getting pretty dark.
Always shoot RAW.
Let bird settle. Shoot a lot of frames.

Blown away.. All this time I've only been doing video.. Now I gotta try stills.. Wow..

Reactions: unclejas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers