Long Distance Flight tips?

Reaction score
I've had my P3P for just about a month, and just brought it with me on vacation to San Diego. I've been flying LOS up and down the beach, and have been wanting to push the distance further, but I still get nervous when I can't tell how it's oriented without looking at the camera view. I've also had a couple occurrences where it's only 200-300 feet away, at maybe 100ft altitude and the video started breaking up (I'm guessing interference).

Any general recommendations or tips to follow when flying at a distance? Or what to do in the event of video loss? Activate RTH?

Find out what's wrong first with your setup first. You should NOT be loosing connection at 200ft, that's about 60m. Especially on a beach which is (usually) relatively flat and free from interference. Most people manage 1,000m to 3,000m.

You're not trying to fly with anything between the remote and P3 are you?

Find out what's wrong first with your setup first. You should NOT be loosing connection at 200ft, that's about 60m. Especially on a beach which is (usually) relatively flat and free from interference. Most people manage 1,000m to 3,000m.

This is also a good point to start with

I've had my P3P for just about a month, and just brought it with me on vacation to San Diego. I've been flying LOS up and down the beach, and have been wanting to push the distance further, but I still get nervous when I can't tell how it's oriented without looking at the camera view. I've also had a couple occurrences where it's only 200-300 feet away, at maybe 100ft altitude and the video started breaking up (I'm guessing interference).

Any general recommendations or tips to follow when flying at a distance? Or what to do in the event of video loss? Activate RTH?

Video breaking up at 200 feet? My guess is that's based on heat while flying in the sun. That is separate from your connection. What device/tablet/phone are you using?

I still get nervous when I can't tell how it's oriented without looking at the camera view. I've also had a couple occurrences where it's only 200-300 feet away, at maybe 100ft altitude and the video started breaking up (I'm guessing interference).
1. Learn how to orient the antenna.
2. Learn how the radar display works. It shows you where your Phantom is and where it's pointing.
3. Practice with RTH so you understand how it works

The only time the video issue occurred was when I was near a lifeguard tower. Even though I had LOS, I've been getting a lot of interference and compass warnings near this location. I've also recalibrated the compass several times.

I'm using the IOS app, with a 6 Plus device.

1. Learn how to orient the antenna.
2. Learn how the radar display works. It shows you where your Phantom is and where it's pointing.
3. Practice with RTH so you understand how it works
Im familiar with the instructions and how to orient the antenna, and have been following DJI's recommendations.

I do need to get a better understanding of the radar though

all the above plus:

dont take off unless the p3 has saved home point
always check the battery status/charge
always fly back with the wind on your side and in atti mode
and dont be afraid to let your p3 go :)

Have multiple flight mode enabled as ati mode gives you a little more speed.And don't panic if you lose connection make sure your RTH settings are right for your environment eg:you don't want it set to low and plow into a tree on its return home.Also when RTH is initiated on a long distance flight keep the throttle up as RTH speed is slowww.

all the above plus:

dont take off unless the p3 has saved home point
always check the battery status/charge
and dont be afraid to let your p3 go :)

Why fly home in Atti mode ? (pardon my ignorance)

Why fly home in Atti mode ? (pardon my ignorance)
Flying home in atti mode increases speed so ....baby back home sooner. Great in windy conditions.
Not any more.
The P2 flew faster in atti but my P3 sits at about 15 m/sec (in still air) in GPS or atti mode.
With the P3, there is no extra speed to be gained in atti mode.
RTH speed is about 10 m/sec so if you want your P3 home before the battery runs out, you'd better take over and drive it yourself.

Reactions: Joao Carlos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20