Log Footage

Reaction score
Does someone have time to cast a quick eye over this log footage and let me know if it's how you'd expect it to look? I can never get my footage to look crisp like everyone else - I know I need to post process (which I have provided too for comparison) but why does my footage not look amazing like everyone else seemingly with much less effort. It's really getting to a be a problem now!

Please critique and help!

Original footage shot Log (with ND16) Sharpness -3, Contrast -3, Sat -3

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Quick exposure and saturation adjust in FCPX

Thanks very much in advance

Last edited:
Sometimes it's just the content that makes it look blah. It's only a 12MP camera too and if you are miles away from your subject, it gets muddied up and no detail. Get in closer.

Even if you go through all the Final Cut editing and color grading videos on Youtube (One guy whose name escapes me!) to get your D-logs up to par, if the content isn't there to start it's just not worth it.

Sometimes it's just the content that makes it look blah. It's only a 12MP camera too and if you are miles away from your subject, it gets muddied up and no detail. Get in closer.

Even if you go through all the Final Cut editing and color grading videos on Youtube (One guy whose name escapes me!) to get your D-logs up to par, if the content isn't there to start it's just not worth it.
Understood - but I have seen lots of 'blah' footage as you call it look so much sharper. I guess I'm just asking whether there is something fundamentally wrong with the quality of the footage im shooting

What was your shutter speed and iso? Best seems to be around 1/60 (for 30 fps) and iOS of 100. And did you remove the small white foam piece from the back of the gimbal? Gets overlooked very often!

What was your shutter speed and iso? Best seems to be around 1/60 (for 30 fps) and iOS of 100. And did you remove the small white foam piece from the back of the gimbal? Gets overlooked very often!
ISO 100 SS 1/50 (24fps) - yes to foam; the footage is perfectly stable, that's not my issue. My issue is with how soft the image seems to be. Do you agree the footage isn't very good?

Just look at the videos on full screen. I agree that they don't look as sharp as mine and others that I have seen here. Is this the original footage off of the ad card or form the Go app? The videos cached in the app are lower resolution than on the card.

Just look at the videos on full screen. I agree that they don't look as sharp as mine and others that I have seen here. Is this the original footage off of the ad card or form the Go app? The videos cached in the app are lower resolution than on the card.
It's straight from the SD card (a fast one too)...what can be causing my poor images? It's very frustrating! HELP

BTW, I would love to have somewhere to shoot coastal footage like yours. Doesn't look too 'blah' to a guy in the farmlands or west central Ohio!

Reactions: mikeroc
Ok, one last thought. What do your stills look like? And one last dummy question - did you remov the clear protective film on the front of the UV filter?

Ok, one last thought. What do your stills look like? And one last dummy question - did you remov the clear protective film on the front of the UV filter?
Yes, film off the filter - I haven't shot any stills. I'll try some - without the filter?

No if you took the video with the filter on, take the stills the same way.

I found some more log footage that I have just graded - before and after wipe in video...Thoughts?

Ok will do, will post back.

PS could the filter be rubbish? (It's DJI brand one)
Visual inspection of the filter should tell you quickly if there is a problem with it. Obviously, if the stills are also fuzzy, you'll want to try without the filter just to eliminate it as a problem. Just looked at the second video, still looks fuzzy to me too.

Visual inspection of the filter should tell you quickly if there is a problem with it. Obviously, if the stills are also fuzzy, you'll want to try without the filter just to eliminate it as a problem. Just looked at the second video, still looks fuzzy to me too.
Visual inspection all good.Will check stills once I get some snaps done...could there be a potential issue with the camera itself do you think?

Beginning to look that way.

I just checked my Go App. On the first video camera page, it shows style (None). When I click on style,my settings are Style +0, +0, +0Standard +0, +0, +0; Landscape +1, +1, +0 and Soft +1, +0, +0. Don't have the bird connected right now. Suspect that you have to have connected to make changes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31