Live streaming to Periscope. This is awesome.

Reaction score
So Periscope (from twitter) used for live streaming now works with your DJI Phantom. This is going to provide such interesting possibilities. Anyone trying it out yet?

How do I broadcast from my DJI drone?

Live stream to an audience around the world, who's looking for your content. This is gonna be so much fun.

It's great because you can draw on the video feed, switch to iPhone camera (with audio) for your broadcasts.

I didn't think it was implemented yet. Did DJI Go version 2.8.1 bring new functionality or anything other than what the notes implied?

You can already live stream via YouTube and the DJI Go app. I've never used periscope, not sure what additional functionality, if any, it provides.

You can already live stream via YouTube and the DJI Go app. I've never used periscope, not sure what additional functionality, if any, it provides.
Ye I've done it through YouTube before. It was extremely laggy for me though.

People don't generally browse youtube looking for livestreams. On the other hand periscope is nothing but lifestreams, and it will tweet that you are broadcasting. You'll have 5-500 people watching your drone stream in a minute just from putting it out there.

Also the app update that enables this is coming soon.

Reactions: Squirrel!
People don't generally browse youtube looking for livestreams. On the other hand periscope is nothing but lifestreams, and it will tweet that you are broadcasting. You'll have 5-500 people watching your drone stream in a minute just from putting it out there.

Also the app update that enables this is coming soon.

That's what I thought. Feature to arrive in an upcoming update is what an article I read said.

The new periscope update adds a search feature to the main video section which will make it way more awesome too. Right now you get a notification anytime anyone you follow starts a livestream. It will be awesome for drones.

tried this today and can't get periscope to switch to Phantom camera... anybody got this to work yet... if so whats the trick... tried to double tap screen... tried to right swipe screen... did not work for me...

went to the Periscope site... looks like DJI Drone gets released at the next Periscope update... just now tested the GOPRO Periscope and its working fine.... can't wait to fly with Periscope...

I just updated Periscope and tried my first livestream via Periscope. I have over 130 flights so far on my Phantom 3 without so much as a scratch or loss of signal and I have also tried livestream via YouTube without issues but on Periscope immediately I noticed several problems. 1). I could not go back and forth from the dji app to the periscope app. 2) clicking away from periscope ends the livestream 3) I had a signal loss at a very short distance away. Perhaps less than 300metres (the phantom went to emergency Rth mode for some reason twice).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah. I did a short flight today on Periscope. It seemed buggy and I don't like not having the data that the DJI app provides. If they add simple info like altitude and speed, I'll use it more.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just updated Periscope and tried my first livestream via Periscope. I have over 130 flights so far on my Phantom 3 without so much as a scratch or loss of signal and I have also tried livestream via YouTube without issues but on Periscope immediately I noticed several problems. 1). I could not go back and forth from the dji app to the periscope app. 2) clicking away from periscope ends the livestream 3) I had a signal loss at a very short distance away. Perhaps less than 300metres (the phantom went to emergency Rth mode for some reason twice).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Doesn't sound promising. Guess I'll wait on the patch update.

I also found the loss of signal problem, and did wonder if the app supported hardware encoding of whether it was resulting to software. The other issue of course is the telemetry is missing unless I clicked the wrong button, but you are missing the map, home location, altitude and battery level etc. With the poor video signal it will be easier to become disoriented if you are not careful. I loaded up DJI GO to bring it home on one flight.

Not only was the video signal poor but you're combating poor 3G/4G signal reception if outside of major towns or cities as I was when I flew the two flights below. Clever technology but I am hoping DJI integrate more in to their GO app for this type of thing so that the flight data is there and they'll always be a limit in terms of quality due to the video feed and the upload to the web.

Flight 1 Steve Harris @sdharris on Periscope

Flight 2 Steve Harris @sdharris on Periscope

I just tried with Periscope, video cuts out quite often it seems. Could it be that hardware decoding is not used? It should be at least an option in the app.

The idea was great but implementation sucks as ALWAYS!
Sounds like it's got a lot of bugs, and I fly some extreme distances so I need everything to be perfect. I'll be following this thread though if they get it worked out I'd love for people to be able to watch my next 20 mile flight

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.