Live demo of the Flytrex Live Realtime Feed

Reaction score
Simon Newton is doing a live demo tomorrow (15:00 BST / 14:00 GMT) of the new Flytrex Live! It's not a live video, but more of a live overview of his flight overlaid on a Google map, showing things like altitude, speed, and Realtime position.

More details here: http://youtu.be/zdBPCkN4bX8

Yep, tested some new Live firmware and a new layout of the flight info on the Flytrex website this afternoon - everything's looking good. Only thing that will spoil the party is a thunderstorm, but they aren't forecast until a bit later and the winds should be light... As the viewers chose the flight area (4000 year old iron age hill fort) there better be a GSM signal there! ;)

Enjoyed watching the flying Simon!

The program is interesting. It seemed to be keeping up with you pretty well. Not sure I need the live feature but I could see some cool applications for it. I am sure the FAA/NSA would love to sniff around those Flytrex servers and all that data that is being warehoused on them!

Cheers,

Todd

Technically another marvel well done and thanks to you for putting it up. Facinating and mind boggling really. As to a practical use I am not sure. But thanks again very interesting.

I watched Simon's live feed. Pretty cool, and it seemed to update pretty smoothly in little bursts. If you sit on someone's page when they are offline, the page will become active and auto-update when they go online. The map also auto-expands to cover their flight area should they fly beyond the boundaries of your current map area.

Now if Flytrex would just ship my live! Ordered it 2+ weeks ago and for the second week in a row received the "should be shipped by the end of the week" story... :x

I was there giving you mad props.

Hello. Thanks to all who watched live. The Flytrex servers were being hammered, so the frame rate was lower than it would normally be without loads of people watching!

I'll be putting a video up in a day or two with a summary of the flight and links to some videos some of my subscribers made showing what they actually saw on screen as I was flying and some shots taken on the day

The "live flight" aspect of it is cool, but at the moment it's mainly just that. However the fact it shows your current position on a map together with height and speed info and your live battery voltage means that for people who don't have an iOSD you could actually use the live view via your smartphone in lieu of an on screen display/telemetry. The latency when you've not opened up your stream to the whole world is in the range of about 2 seconds. Live tracking aside, the fact that your flight data is constantly being sent to their servers means this really is a combination data logger and satellite tracker in one, with no ongoing subscriptions and a very lightweight package with the live streaming being an added bonus...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.