Literally inches from disaster!! Scary flight this weekend...

Reaction score
Took my P3A out to one of my normal spots on Saturday. This, like most of my favorites is over water (the intercoastel here in Tampa Bay Florida).
Anyway, I was 100+ feet up when I noticed a couple big dolphins swimming by and coming out of the water enough that I thought it would make a good shot.
I quickly pulled the left stick down and as it was coming down I alternated between looking at the screen and trying to keep an eye on the dolphins.
Somehow during all this I stopped paying attention to where the quad was and then...OMG...I see it just over the water and coming straight down. I quickly hit the left stick up and as I looked at the screen I saw 0.7 feet as the height!!!!!
Luckily it pulled straight up and didn't hit the water.
Without a doubt the scariest moment I've ever had since I started flying.

Almost forgot. When I arrived to fly my tablet was dead. I usually always leave it attached to the controller with my hoodman sunshade on it. This week I had taken it out and when I put it back I put it in with the power button down instead of up and it looks like the sunshade strap accidently was holding in the power button. Guess this drained it.
I had to resort to flying with my phone instead of the big bright tablet. Probably had a lot to do with my almost disaster.
Also reinforces the Mavic really isn't for me if no one comes up with a way to use a tablet with it.

Last edited:
Don't blame tablet or anything, I'm sure the sight of those dolphins was so beautiful that you forgot everything else. You got to believe Nature is beautiful.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dtviewer
Sounds like a lucky escape buddy, did you manage to record your intense moment, would be cool to see the footage??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

YIKES!

But hey, at least you got a great view of some incredible creatures, yes?

I was out flying my P4 last weekend and had a similar scary moment. I was backing it up from an overview of an old abandoned house, with the gimbal slightly down-facing, when a thick power line jumped into view, barely INCHES below the Phantom!! :O I had seen that power line but from my perspective on the ground the drone was still not close to it. Definitely flirted with disaster on that one!

No footage...I wasn't even snapping shots at the time.

Question...is there any way to pull up logs that would show the record of how far I did drop?

No footage...I wasn't even snapping shots at the time.

Question...is there any way to pull up logs that would show the record of how far I did drop?
Yes, get the txt files. Search for 'msinger txt' which should give you several hundred posts on how to do it. It will give you moment by moment altitude measurements. But remember, these won't be absolute altitudes, they will be relative to your home point. THey will probably be negative unless you were actually right on the beach when you took off.

I always start video when I take off. You never know when some thing is interesting. If you don't want to use it, just erase it. Litchi has a setting for automatically starting recording as soon as you start to fly. Wish GO did that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic