Litchi

Reaction score
I have d
Been stalking the forums for a while now , and found the Litchi app and decided to give it a go . The first time I tried it I did the way point settings . I set them around a running track so I new where they would be going in sight and low altitude . As it rounded the track all was fine then on the other side it started to bounce up and down and stop moving forward. It then hit the ground and bounced up and down a few times the only thing I can think of is it was really close to a metal soccer net. Now I am afraid to try the app again . I was really excited about the way point settings as it looks like something that will help me get some as one shots.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I set them around a running track so I new where they would be going in sight and low altitude

How low are we talking here? Few feet? Kinda sounds like the settings were not correctly set. Do you have a flight log?

the only thing I can think of is it was really close to a metal soccer net.
For the safety of your Phantom you should keep a wide safety margin between your Phantom and any obstacles.
You can't trust the barometer with small clearance distances.
How close was really close?

I'm also experimenting with Litchi. Unfortunately it doesn't support Google Terrain APIs so it's difficult to judge the AGL at different waypoints. I use google Earth to get the details and plug into Litchi.

Today I tried on iOS 9.3.1 with App 2.7.2 RC 1.60 and AC 1.8.80. Waypoints worked correctly but unfortunately camera didn't start.

For the safety of your Phantom you should keep a wide safety margin between your Phantom and any obstacles.
You can't trust the barometer with small clearance distances.
Agreed. I flew two batteries with Litchi yesterday after exercising the new GO app, and it (Litchi) performed as well as always. Give yourself at least a 20-30 ft margin in altitude. If heavy weather is approaching or has just moved out, increase that margin even more.

Been thinking of downloading Litchi as well after hearing so many people use it. But I'm kinda with the theory that the Dji go app should be more compatible and work better and smoother and safer being that it's made by Dji, the company that makes the drones. But I'm a apple guy, not a Windows guy so this makes since...lol...so what makes this $20 app better then the Dji go app? What does it do that the go app doesn't? And is there any downside that people came across?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Been thinking of downloading Litchi as well after hearing so many people use it. But I'm kinda with the theory that the Dji go app should be more compatible and work better and smoother and safer being that it's made by Dji, the company that makes the drones. But I'm a apple guy, not a Windows guy so this makes since...lol...so what makes this $20 app better then the Dji go app? What does it do that the go app doesn't? And is there any downside that people came across?

I have not tried it yet but as far as I understand, it allows us to set way points without having tho fly the course beforehand like the Go app requires.

Oh I see...tom tech time said that the p2v+ used to be able to do that. Not sure why they would get rid of that. So I wonder if that's it? Just the ability to set waypoints beforehand? Kind of cool, I might download it and only use it for doing that I guess...

I have not tried it yet but as far as I understand, it allows us to set way points without having tho fly the course beforehand like the Go app requires.
There is that. You can also plan your mission on the Litchi website (hub) at your desk, and only download to your device when you are ready to fly.
Litchi waypoints is full of other features, especially with the control and function of the camera as the mission is flown.
Litchi uploads the mission to the quad, so that it will complete the mission even if signal is lost.

The Android version is more comprehensive, but iOS is catching up. It now includes Orbit as well.

I'm also experimenting with Litchi. Unfortunately it doesn't support Google Terrain APIs so it's difficult to judge the AGL at different waypoints. I use google Earth to get the details and plug into Litchi.

Today I tried on iOS 9.3.1 with App 2.7.2 RC 1.60 and AC 1.8.80. Waypoints worked correctly but unfortunately camera didn't start.
Set the camera to auto record in litchi. It's the best way, I have found. Of course I am guilty of gratuitous video posting of my litchi flights when threads pop. I was of the mind that I preferred to stick to dji waypoints, but they just don't compare to what litchi (or other third party apps) can do for really great shots.

How do you determine the safe altitude when preparing a mission in Litchi?

Can you walk the mission route with the AC or a smartphone, and reliably take note of the elevation vs the home point?

And how much margin do you use in all directions -- 20 m or so? I guess AC's max climbing speed must also be considered when approaching tall objects.

Oh I see...tom tech time said that the p2v+ used to be able to do that. Not sure why they would get rid of that. So I wonder if that's it? Just the ability to set waypoints beforehand? Kind of cool, I might download it and only use it for doing that I guess...

I think they took that off the P2 as I understand . its not a safe way to do way points unless one knows what they are doing. I like the idea of flying the route or at least going to have look at it before I fly.

Set the camera to auto record in litchi. It's the best way, I have found. Of course I am guilty of gratuitous video posting of my litchi flights when threads pop. I was of the mind that I preferred to stick to dji waypoints, but they just don't compare to what litchi (or other third party apps) can do for really great shots.

Hi your video looks very smooth & slow..

Saw your note for the video on Youtube states the video was shot at 48fps. Did you then slow the video down and encode it at 24fps for the final video?

If you did not slow down the video, then could you please update what speed (horizontal speed) the drone was moving at when the video was shot? No matter how slow I try to fly the drone, I always find that movement is too fast in my videos.. would like to benchmark to a more optimum speed for slower movement..

Last edited:
I use Google Earth to get the total amount of surface ground elevation change, then add a minimum of 100-150 ft above the highest elevation depending on tree height.

On the way point settings I had it set to 3 meters of the ground and 5 mph I believe . I really want to use this but now I am afraid to send it out . I think I may try another flight at a bit higher altitude .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The lower you fly the easier it is to drop satellites due to the angle and also easier for buildings and trees to interfere with a clear GPS signal.

If you drop satellites or lose them completely, you are at the mercy of compass interference.

I use Google Earth to get the total amount of surface ground elevation change, then add a minimum of 100-150 ft above the highest elevation depending on tree height.

How much can you trust Google Earth elevations? I'd prefer to do a local checkup myself. Or start a Litchi mission with a good safety margin, then fine-tune it.

So what about firmware updates for the rc and bird? The Dji go app tells you when there's an update needed, does the litchi?

...a related note about Litchi flying high: I just ran a test mission after FW V01.08.0080 update. I set Litchi waypoint mission to start at 120m and go down to 40m. The mission would not start (an obscure error message). I then set the starting altitude to 110 m and the mission went OK. ...is there a rounding error here?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik