Litchi waypoint actions out of range

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to perform waypoint actions on out of range missions. There is nothing in the Litchi iOS manual that says this isn't possible. But some people have said they can't do it, especially for gimbal actions.

Should I have no problems running waypoint actions out of range? Or do some actions not work?

Thanks in advance,
D

Anytime I've run out of range missions with litchi waypoint the camera does what I had programmed it to do...I'm pretty sure the mission and all the info, including waypoint actions is loaded to the AC before it even starts the mission. [emoji41]

Anytime I've run out of range missions with litchi waypoint the camera does what I had programmed it to do...I'm pretty sure the mission and all the info, including waypoint actions is loaded to the AC before it even starts the mission. [emoji41]

Does this include *moving* the camera eg using the `tilt camera` function?

From the Litchi manual.

Waypoint Gimbal Pitch
Litchi can control the gimbal pitch automatically during the mission, as long as the aircraft is within range of the remote controller. To specify how the gimbal pitch should be controlled, each waypoint has a Gimbal Pitch setting which can be one of the following:

From the Litchi manual.

Waypoint Gimbal Pitch
Litchi can control the gimbal pitch automatically during the mission, as long as the aircraft is within range of the remote controller. To specify how the gimbal pitch should be controlled, each waypoint has a Gimbal Pitch setting which can be one of the following:

My understanding was that that only applies to so-called "automatic" gimbal pitch control, ie Focus POI or Interpolate. Perhaps I`m wrong though. Does anyone have any experience using the "tilt camera" waypoint action on out of range flights?

My understanding was that that only applies to so-called "automatic" gimbal pitch control, ie Focus POI or Interpolate. Perhaps I`m wrong though. Does anyone have any experience using the "tilt camera" waypoint action on out of range flights?

Did you go read the manual? That is from the waypoint part of the manual.

Here is the manual. Help - Litchi

Did you go read the manual? That is from the waypoint part of the manual.

Here is the manual. Help - Litchi

Yes, I have read the manual many times, and again just now. It is somewhat ambiguous. Has anyone actually tried the camera tilt function on an out of range mission?

Yes, I have read the manual many times, and again just now. It is somewhat ambiguous. Has anyone actually tried the camera tilt function on an out of range mission?

Yes I have. That's why I'm stating to read the manual. They put this stuff in there for a reason.

That is why I fly a mission several time to make sure I have the gimbal pitch or focus point set up correctly. They are telling you that if the AC is not connected to the RC "you can't tilt the camera with the wheel".

Think about it. Once the aircraft is out of range of the controller, nothing, either apps or manual inputs, from the RC will affect the aircraft - that's what 'out of range' means. And since camera tilt is controlled from the app, no gimbal (or any other functions either) commands get to the bird. This has been discussed many times in previous thread with additional feedback from litchi to clarify what happens.

How about shooting with the interval timer, does that stop if out of remote control range? I'm using my P3 Standard to do field crop mapping by stitching together a sequence of photos. I trigger the camera on interval mode manually because the Take Photo command at each waypoint only takes a single photo.

How about shooting with the interval timer, does that stop if out of remote control range? I'm using my P3 Standard to do field crop mapping by stitching together a sequence of photos. I trigger the camera on interval mode manually because the Take Photo command at each waypoint only takes a single photo.
Does DJI's GS Pro work with your bird? If so, I'd look into using it since it is made for mapping. It is a little different from Litchi, but I finally got the hang of it after a while. "Free" is another positive.

I've made several missions, but I've only flown one so far. Also, I haven't yet searched for or found a stitching program for all of the images that one mission produced. I know they are probably easy to find, but I will one in the near future when I start back using GS Pro.

In Litchi, I don't believe there is any speed control, nor gimbal tilt control, nor waypoint actions, when you fly beyond RC signal range. So effectively, the only thing you can program, for waypoints beyond signal range, is the position and altitude of the drone, plus the POI focus. And even then, the POI focus is maintained only by yaw of the drone, not by gimbal pitch.

So I have found that the best way to run a video capture while beyond signal range, is to make sure the gimbal pitch is set correctly before you leave signal range. I generally set gimbal pitch to 15 deg down shortly after takeoff, which is a good compromise for capturing the horizon in the video, but still getting close to what the gimbal pitch should have been even if it were under control. Then I check the waypoints individually in my mission plan to be sure the desired pitch for each POI is between 0 to 35 deg or so, which is usually the case. Sometimes I'll need to vary the drone altitude in the plan in order get within that acceptable pitch range. Also, during the flight, you must remember to turn on video before you leave signal range.

I don't usually find the gimbal pitch workaround to be much of a problem. It's the lack of speed control that bothers me more. Optimally, I'd like to run at full cruise speed out to the target site, and then slow down to get good video, and then speed up to get back home with enough battery reserve. But that isn't possible when you fly beyond signal range. You get just one speed. So choosing a compromise speed is also a necessary ingredient for your mission planning. Don't go too slow, or you'll run out of battery. Don't go too fast, or you'll compromises your video unnecessarily.

Reactions: reversevector
In Litchi, I don't believe there is any speed control, nor gimbal tilt control, nor waypoint actions, when you fly beyond RC signal range. So effectively, the only thing you can program, for waypoints beyond signal range, is the position and altitude of the drone, plus the POI focus. And even then, the POI focus is maintained only by yaw of the drone, not by gimbal pitch.

So I have found that the best way to run a video capture while beyond signal range, is to make sure the gimbal pitch is set correctly before you leave signal range. I generally set gimbal pitch to 15 deg down shortly after takeoff, which is a good compromise for capturing the horizon in the video, but still getting close to what the gimbal pitch should have been even if it were under control. Then I check the waypoints individually in my mission plan to be sure the desired pitch for each POI is between 0 to 35 deg or so, which is usually the case. Sometimes I'll need to vary the drone altitude in the plan in order get within that acceptable pitch range. Also, during the flight, you must remember to turn on video before you leave signal range.

I don't usually find the gimbal pitch workaround to be much of a problem. It's the lack of speed control that bothers me more. Optimally, I'd like to run at full cruise speed out to the target site, and then slow down to get good video, and then speed up to get back home with enough battery reserve. But that isn't possible when you fly beyond signal range. You get just one speed. So choosing a compromise speed is also a necessary ingredient for your mission planning. Don't go too slow, or you'll run out of battery. Don't go too fast, or you'll compromises your video unnecessarily.

When controlling the gimbal pitch in this manner do you set the gimbal pitch option to Disabled instead of Focus POI for each waypoints or just those waypoints that is beyond RC signal range?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20