Litchi vs. AutoFlightLogic AutoPilot

Reaction score
I'm looking at an alternative to the DJI GoApp. Can anyone shed light on the differences between these two and share any experiences with them?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Slydog59
Litchi is my fav. But I primarily use the dji go app

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Both good for different reasons although the gap is closing.

Autopilot now includes LCMC (a big issue for many).

I use both and find Autopilot allows more complex camera control. Litchi is easier to use but offers less functionality.

Autopilot are more responsive to contact and the support is better.

My experience only.

Plus one on Autopilot. I use Autopilot for complex way points missions. In my personal opinion the only feature Auto Pilot does not have that Litchi does is the continue mission if the AC gets disconnected from the RC.
Also agree that Litchi is easier to use but offers less flexibility.
Also it takes a bit of learning curve to learn Autopilot, in my eyes not that hard. I plan my missions offline at home, save them in the App. When I arrive to the area where I fly I just load the mission and go.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Litchi is easier to use and you will find lots of folks here who can help you. Litchi is a comprehensive ground control station. It's very good and well supported.

Autopilot is also a comprehensive ground control station. However, it is difficult to use because of an odd interface. Autopilot uses a "reference point" when you create missions. That means you can run the exact same mission in different locations by simply moving its reference point. You can even set the reference point to be an iPhone for following. That allows you do things like fly figure 8s or other complex patterns while following a car down the road. You can even set another drone in the same airspace as the reference point. It's pretty **** cool.

The AutoPilot developers seem to think that their unique reference point feature requires a unique interface. Personally, i disagree with this, but whatever.

Plus one on Autopilot. I use Autopilot for complex way points missions. In my personal opinion the only feature Auto Pilot does not have that Litchi does is the continue mission if the AC gets disconnected from the RC.
Also agree that Litchi is easier to use but offers less flexibility.
Also it takes a bit of learning curve to learn Autopilot, in my eyes not that hard. I plan my missions offline at home, save them in the App. When I arrive to the area where I fly I just load the mission and go.

Good news... Autopilot now supports LCMC. You loose some of the bells and whistles that are available flying with the custom flight controller (it is very much like a litchi mission in this mode).

One feature which I miss in Litchi app is the ability to control Gimbal roll. Dji Go app is still my goto app.

Btw, what is LCMC mode on autopilot?

Does the Autopilot app has settings to adjust gimbal roll? I don't see that in Litchi and one of the reason I don't use it much.

Does the Autopilot app has settings to adjust gimbal roll? I don't see that in Litchi and one of the reason I don't use it much.

I just checked in AutoPilot. It has a "Focus Trigger" which is much like a Waypoint just to align the camera. There is also one called "Camera Trigger" which is set as another waypoint and runs the camera itself and separate from "Focus Trigger." In "Focus Trigger" there are three modes: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. Under Intermediate I found Focus Strategy > Direction and "Yes, you can set the camera gimbal to 90 degrees down to upwards of 30 degrees by one degree increments." You can also set the Yaw Reference as well 0-180 degrees from either left or out to right side: i.e. -0 to 180 to +0 side, like spinning the drone in a 360.). There are also some seven different Focus Strategies available: Subject, Direction, Joystick, Pattern, Touch, Device, and Passive. Bunch of other stuff in there too.

One difference I find between Litchi and AutoPilot is flight planning in Litchi seems to revolve around you using Google Earth on a desktop that has the measuring tools available to draw a flight plan and altitude out with to send to the apps. Those tools are not available on the Android or Apple devices in Google Earth (A much slimmed down version.). In the desktop Google Earth, you output your saved plan into a KML or KMZ file to use on either of the two apps. In AutoPilot, the Google Earth shown in AutoPilot's Map and Flight Dashboard is where you can draw out your flight pattern without the need to use a standalone desktop version of Google Earth, but you need cellular connection to get the map in it to work with. I got stuck in a no-cell zone and had zero access to the Map part, but no plan to fly there either had I done it from home so I don't know if it would have worked sans a map.

Isn't Autopilot not available as a desktop app? Now I know all you youngsters prefer to carry those huge phones around or phablets, but I'm an Android phone and tablet user that happens to have an old iPhone 5 lying around. The screen sure seems small for setting up complex waypoint missions - I guess you just do a lot of zoom in and zoom out. Like for DroneDeploy I greatly prefer creating missions on my desktop setup with a nice big HD 24" monitor as opposed to my LG 8" tablet, let alone my 6" LG phone.

I'm a little peeved that a larger percentage of developers for DJI related apps do IOS compared to Android.

Isn't Autopilot not available as a desktop app? Now I know all you youngsters prefer to carry those huge phones around or phablets, but I'm an Android phone and tablet user that happens to have an old iPhone 5 lying around. The screen sure seems small for setting up complex waypoint missions - I guess you just do a lot of zoom in and zoom out. Like for DroneDeploy I greatly prefer creating missions on my desktop setup with a nice big HD 24" monitor as opposed to my LG 8" tablet, let alone my 6" LG phone.

I'm a little peeved that a larger percentage of developers for DJI related apps do IOS compared to Android.

AP has ability to plan waypoints offline on a computer and import the KML/KMZ file.

I just ran a nice mission at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena using Autopilot. The video came out nice, it could have been better. It was on a hot day 101 degrees day, with 10/12 MPH winds.
It could all have done in one waypoint point mission but ran 2 separate mission due to winds, did not want to take any chances from the battery usage stand point.

I am working in refining my AP waypoint mission and go back for a second video.

Here's the thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/video-using-autopilot-and-cpl-filter.91164/

What program do you use to plan waypoints offline on a computer?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I use google earth to create my missions on a computer. Once all of my waypoints have been created I create a KML/KMZ file that I can easily import in Autopilot in iPhone 6SPlus. Once I open the file in Autopilot any points that are found in the imported file will automatically be used as Waypoints in Waypoint mode.

I have also created missions in offline mode in my iPhone6S Plus, in small chunks, like the one in the video. I took my time creating that mission, took me about 3 or 4 days to complete.

Which ever App you choose for autonomous flights Litchi or Autopilot are both great choices. The consensus is that Litchi is easier to learn than Autopilot.

But isn't mapping the LONG/LAT only just part of the information in many cases? Do you need to specify elevations for each point, especially if you want to change elevation during the mission? And then also add focal points to point the camera at? I'm talking a full features Auto Pilot mission app, not Google Earth. The former doesn't exist (yet).

I think one way around it would be to load up Airserver on a PC and control your iPhone from your PC and use the app through the PC that way?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik