Litchi question on Orbit

Reaction score
My question is actually two fold:
Firstly is 500M the max distance from which I can start an Orbit mission in Litchi? If I attempt to start from any further, I get a message saying something to the affect that navigation is unsupported.
Secondly, would I be able to launch and manually fly closer to the desired orbit point, and then start the Orbit?
Appreciate help from anyone who has info on this.

It was unclear from your post do you want to start an orbit 500 meters away from home point or do an orbit with a 500 meter radius. The first would be no problem, but the second case might. A 500 meter radius means a mission distance of over 3000 meters and depending on how far away the poi is from the home location, the app might not think that you have enough battery to fly the mission.
Uploading a mission whil the bird is is the air is no problem as long as the app is connected.

It was unclear from your post do you want to start an orbit 500 meters away from home point or do an orbit with a 500 meter radius. The first would be no problem, but the second case might. A 500 meter radius means a mission distance of over 3000 meters and depending on how far away the poi is from the home location, the app might not think that you have enough battery to fly the mission.
Uploading a mission whil the bird is is the air is no problem as long as the app is connected.

Thanks for your reply Richard R, I want to start an orbit more than 500 meters away from home point, and the app will not allow me to launch it from the home point, so while my battery is charging, I thought someone would know if I could fly manually closer to the desired point, (so that the poi is within 500 meters of the drone), and then start the orbit from there.

Curious! There is nothing in the litchi manual about any limitations in distance to the orbit. Try duplicating the orbit around a point closer to home. Make sure that there isn't something "wrong" in how you have the orbit set up. Try the idea of flying closer too. I'll be very interested in what you find out. I'd try some thing myself, but I'm weather grounded today.

Thanks for your reply Richard R, I want to start an orbit more than 500 meters away from home point, and the app will not allow me to launch it from the home point, so while my battery is charging, I thought someone would know if I could fly manually closer to the desired point, (so that the poi is within 500 meters of the drone), and then start the orbit from there.

Yes, fly closer to your orbit and Litchi will start.

One other thing. Open the Go app and check to see what the maximum distance is set to. If less than 500 meters, that may be the problem. Many Setting set in Go are passed to Lichi.

It's not a good idea to do an orbit mission that far away. As it does in the dji app, if connection is lost it will continue the orbit until critical low battery and then land where it is. It will not return to home. When doing an orbit mission, it's best to be well within range to avoid catastrophic consequences.

Reactions: Pharm
Shockwave, are you saying that when using the DJI Go app in function mode such as orbit the bird won't RTH on a signal loss?

Couldn't agree more that you should have your bird in view when using any Litchi features!

Yes it's the same in the dji app. I think it's dumb. I'd rather have the bird RTH if connection is lost during an orbit. But for some reasons, such as possibly crashing into the poi and maybe just pushing the pilot to fly an orbit closer, dji makes it that the bird will just keep orbiting until the bitter end at which time it reaches critical low battery and lands. If this behavior has changed and I missed it, I don't know, I don't believe it has though.

Reactions: Mocho
Thanks shockwave, for some reason I had it in my head that DJI Go will always RTH on low battery.
But I guess because we are in function mode, other functions of the app don't work.

Moral of the story is when doing an orbit in the dji app and litchi, and focus mode in litchi, be within a range that keeps connection solid. I run stock at the moment, with windsurfers. I feel confident within 3,000 feet, in general. I'm confident doing a litchi orbit that puts the bird that far away from me on the far side. But I'm always much closer on the near side so the bird spends some time closer to me during the orbit. I would never choose orbit or focus mode beyond 3,000 feet out. I'd simply choose to manually fly to achieve the same thing, albeit not as perfect as an auto mode. But manually, if you lose connection out there your bird will come home at least. As always, your mileage may vary.

Just tried RTH in the DJI Go app while running a POI function and it works. So I assume it will work on low battery as well.

Running the latest firmware and android app on P3P.

That's not the same as losing connection.

Thanks to all who replied. I finally got a chance to setup and launch an orbit around a poi out a distance of 3500 feet from home point. this was only accomplished by manually flying the drone out to within 1600 feet of the poi before starting the orbit. As Richard R mentioned there is no mention of the 500 metre limit in any of the litchi literature. Also it certainly is important to be able to keep connection with the drone so as to not have it land out of sight, and out of range. I am at a loss as to why this would be the failsafe action in orbit mode. RTH would be much more desirable. Perhaps someone could offer a reason why there is no option for this.

It's not a good idea to do an orbit mission that far away. As it does in the dji app, if connection is lost it will continue the orbit until critical low battery and then land where it is. It will not return to home. When doing an orbit mission, it's best to be well within range to avoid catastrophic consequences.

What if the Smart RTH is ON? Doesn't the no-connection AC even then go home when needed?

No, I think the Litchi treats an orbit sort of like a mission with no endpoint. So, if the mission 'never ends' the lost signal RTH is never initiated!

Before the Orbit function became available with the IOS version, I was flying similar missions with the Waypoint feature with the Curve feature turned on. Works great.

You may try the same mission using Waypoints.

SB

Use the drawing tool to draw a 'circle' around the POI and at the distance from the poi that you want to fly. Just remember that if you use curved lines, you will have to manually start and stop recording.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic