Litchi & DJI GO Questions

Reaction score
Low time P3P user back with more questions. Having lots of fun with DJI GO software, but can't help but wonder a few things about Litchi software. Latest versions really looks good and is getting good reviews.
Questions:
1. I understand that you can have both in your tablet and choose which you want to use for the next flight. Is that indeed correct?
2. Can you have both apps open at the same time and simply switch between applications while in flight?
3. Do the DJI updates, like the battery firmware mod just out in the latest version, work when you are using Litchi as the control software? Because they are programmed into the bird, I assume it works that way.
4. Someone said that they had to start DJI GO first, if they wanted to change camera settings. Are there not any camera settings in Litchi? Looking at their screen shots it looks like the same system as DJI GO app uses.

The reason that I am considering Litchi is the ability to fly from airport locations, without needing to send your intentions to DJI, BEFORE having the No-Fly Zone removed for that particular airport, once you have permission from the airport to fly in their area. As by the latest information you must notify the tower if flying within the 5 mile radius area, it makes no sense to let DJI know that you are flying some low altitude flights 4 miles from the airport, in your back yard. Just want to keep it all legal, when in airport controlled air space.

So would appreciate answers to the above questions from anyone who know the facts.
Thanks and Happy Holidays,
GR

Gosh, I guess questions comparing DJI GO and Litchi information don't go over very well on this Forum! Can't believe there is not any answers to my above questions. Still early in the day!
GR

Q1: during flight you can even switch between different apps. Put your Phantom in P mode, close the app while the Phantom hovers, open the other app et voila.

Q2: I don't recommended this. See Q2. Some app like Dronepan do allow Go to be on the back ground. Go and Litchi doesn't.

Q3: yes

Q4: You can control the camera in Litchi.

Gosh, I guess questions comparing DJI GO and Litchi information don't go over very well on this Forum! Can't believe there is not any answers to my above questions. Still early in the day!
GR
Not everyone is using both. Hey man, it's Christmas. All the new owners are taking flyijng lessons [emoji1]

Great! Thanks for the answers, really appreciate it.
GR

I can't look into your wallet, but I find it just fun to make a flightplan and see my bird fly it. It's a $ 1000,- plus drone, so the few extra $'s to have more fun with it are peanuts for me.

Reactions: SCGENE
I can't look into your wallet, but I find it just fun to make a flightplan and see my bird fly it. It's a $ 1000,- plus drone, so the few extra $'s to have more fun with it are peanuts for me.
Agree. I'm purchasing it today. I love that you can set way points and fly a plan. I'm an old USAF navigator do I get joy from this!

Reactions: rhoffart
Thanks to all the comments, I am definitely going to become a Litchi Software Owner, and money has absolutely nothing to do with it! I just wanted some reassurance that it was compatible with all the firmware that we seem to be constantly updating in the P3P bird itself. Everything so far has been very positive, I especially like the comment from one who basically said with both software packages, he could choose to do some hands on flying, or program the bird to basically fly itself the way he wanted it to. And no matter what the operating system, of any kind or any type of equipment, there is always room for improvement and new innovations.
As far as I am concerned, this issue is not closed!
GR

Reactions: SCGENE
I too purchased the Litchi...mostly to preset waypoint missions.

My question is the switch over from DJI GO to Litchi app. I have a P3A using a Verizon Elipsis 8 tablet (android). I currently have the Litchi app as default, so on connection to RC, it opens. If I close Litchi, open GO, there is so FPV ....it says disconnected. Obviously I'm not doing something correctly. Help please. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My question is the switch over from DJI GO to Litchi app. I have a P3A using a Verizon Elipsis 8 tablet (android). I currently have the Litchi app as default, so on connection to RC, it opens. If I close Litchi, open GO, there is so FPV ....it says disconnected. Obviously I'm not doing something correctly. Help please.
If you find the answer to your question it's good to post it in order to help others.

I find that the app you no longer want to use needs to be shut down completely under Android. That is, cleared from memory. Just pressing the home button or back arrow will leave the app active in memory and it holds onto what it's controlling.

Reactions: ScatSpeak
The reason that I am considering Litchi is the ability to fly from airport locations, without needing to send your intentions to DJI, BEFORE having the No-Fly Zone removed for that particular airport, once you have permission from the airport to fly in their area. As by the latest information you must notify the tower if flying within the 5 mile radius area, it makes no sense to let DJI know that you are flying some low altitude flights 4 miles from the airport, in your back yard. Just want to keep it all legal, when in airport controlled air space
NFZ's are not just a DJI GO app specific constraint... also, pay attention that the DJI GEO system (for unlocking certain NFZ areas for flight) is only in BETA mode with a specific firmware version and DJI GO app so it doesn't yet apply to the general public.

If you are running P3 firmware 1.4+ and the Litchi 2.5+ then you still will not be able to take-off or fly within the NFZ of an airport.... Litchi honors that because it's firmware based and you cannot override it just by using a different flight app.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Careful with that. I didn't set a waypoint high enough when I was flying over uncharted territory and a tree grabbed me.

To easily choose between Go & Litchi I first have my tablet on and unlocked, then turn on the controller. A small pop up displays 3 choices; Go, Litchi, and Hivemapper (I installed, but haven't played with the later one too much yet).
After selecting which app, you then select "just once" or "always". Even though I mostly fly w/Litchi, I always choose "just once" because sometimes I need to launch Go to adjust camera settings, a feature not yet supported by Litchi. But Litchi uses what you set in Go for the camera, so it is only a minor inconvenience, and well worth having Litchi's superior implementation of flight modes.
I'm not sure if it is necessary, but I always shut down my P3A, then controller, then app to switch apps.

Careful with that. I didn't set a waypoint high enough when I was flying over uncharted territory and a tree grabbed me.

In fact, I'd imagine that is why DJI made you have to "manually" fly the course in order to set the waypoints - to be more certain that the path is actually navigable.

I gladly trade that certainty for the Litchi preset approach and some common sense planning. I can always fly "manually" when needed to confirm specific heights/distances when building a flight path but I don't need that for most of my flights and I don't like burning up battery time when not needed. Or burning thru my time making flight path tweaks in Go.

Last edited:

My missions are all open field at no more than 100' AGL. I'll certainly be careful when I begin to fly over trees.

If you find the answer to your question it's good to post it in order to help others.

I find that the app you no longer want to use needs to be shut down completely under Android. That is, cleared from memory. Just pressing the home button or back arrow will leave the app active in memory and it holds onto what it's controlling.

Yes, that's what I found out. Thanks for confirming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues