Litchi course out of distance of the transmitter

Missions are always loaded on to P3 and then P3 executes them. Litchi app just displays the status during execution of the mission.

Litchi app can save multiple missions by names and you got to load one that you want to execute before running it.

I have been using Litchi to map a canal from Lough Neagh to Carlingford Lough in Ireland - it's about 30 miles long and I have broken it up into numerous Litchi missions.

Works perfectly even if the signal drops. Sometimes the telemetry sticks but you can see the video and the red aircraft moving between the waypoints when the signal re-joins. You just have to trust the technology, it will work.

Still doesn't help me with nerves though. I'm about 3/4 the way through doing up to four missions a day. I'm now having to travel a bit to get to the next section, but it should be worth it.

This morning I had a close call though. As it's the route of a canal, it's almost perfectly flat so I fly at 50m to avoid all trees, power lines etc. However to get to the start of where I left off yesterday, I had the mission fly a bit cross country. The canal twists and turns, you understand. I was watching on the monitor and all of a sudden I was fast approaching the welcoming branches of a very large oak tree. Missed by a few feet I reckon. When I checked the mission later today, the tree was on top of a 30m hill that I hadn't even noticed before from the maps.

Needless to say, I'm checking every waypoint and adding in a few more on the mission hub and checking them against the indicated start point height on the mission planner. Phew!

Also I want to add another question. If you're flying a mission route and your battery hits the level for rth, will it break the mission and rth? Even if there is no signal?
Disable the SMART RTH in the GO app and it will not automatically RTH. It will however auto-land at CRITICAL BATTERY LEVEL. I saw a video of a guy on this forum go set a 5 mile one-way mission. Way cool.
45% battery left at landing. I know you can't do a one-way in Litchi so he set up a round trip, drove 5 miles to the halfway point, took control and landed it. Whew!
This is from amckim2084
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom3guy2016
I have been using Litchi to map a canal from Lough Neagh to Carlingford Lough in Ireland - it's about 30 miles long and I have broken it up into numerous Litchi missions.

This morning I had a close call though. As it's the route of a canal, it's almost perfectly flat so I fly at 50m to avoid all trees, power lines etc. However to get to the start of where I left off yesterday, I had the mission fly a bit cross country. The canal twists and turns, you understand. I was watching on the monitor and all of a sudden I was fast approaching the welcoming branches of a very large oak tree. Missed by a few feet I reckon. When I checked the mission later today, the tree was on top of a 30m hill that I hadn't even noticed before from the maps.
In the preparation of a mission, I sometimes click around the Litchi map (which seems to be Google Earth) to check the recorded elevations in questionable areas. Litchi Hub shows waypoint elevations relative to your home point anywhere you pin a WP. I find it very useful. It's only available from the Litchi hub however and not from their IOS app. But, I honestly have trouble creating missions on my iPad Mini, especially when it's so much easier on a full size PC. I have better luck with a mouse than my shaky finger:(

Disable the SMART RTH in the GO app and it will not automatically RTH. It will however auto-land at CRITICAL BATTERY LEVEL. I saw a video of a guy on this forum go set a 5 mile one-way mission. Way cool.
45% battery left at landing. I know you can't do a one-way in Litchi so he set up a round trip, drove 5 miles to the halfway point, took control and landed it. Whew!
This is from amckim2084
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
now im confused, you first said you saw a guy setup a 5 mile one way mission. Then you mention that Litchi cant do a one way mission. It will autoland at critical battery level if you turn off RTH. But you said he landed with 45% which is not even near critical? Im totally confused?

now im confused, you first said you saw a guy setup a 5 mile one way mission. Then you mention that Litchi cant do a one way mission. It will autoland at critical battery level if you turn off RTH. But you said he landed with 45% which is not even near critical? I'm totally confused?
In the video he said he created a round trip mission, but deleted the last leg from the screenshot (after the flight) for simplicity.
An actual Litchi flight must have no more than 1.2 miles between any consecutive waypoints, including the home point. So he aborted the mission half way through by driving out to that spot regaining signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Thanks! Wish there was some sort of method to ease my mind the first few times. Maybe Ill get my buddy to follow it in the car and confirm it is still moving hah

Invest in a external GPS module to attach to the bird. Look at my bird in my profile pic to the left.

Alokbhargava's list of measures to take when performing waypoint missions is right on. Especially the time frame at which he recommended not to exceed. All my missions thus far have been no longer than 15 minutes. Even my longest which I stated was 3.5 miles round trip. My speed on this mission was set at 22mph. You will find that 15 minutes at 20 to 23 miles an hour will give you great distance and keeps you away from your critical battery setting of 30% remaining. I haven't come back yet under 50%. Get out there and start slow and close. Then as you learn what your bird can do according to the settings you've set, you'll begin to realize what your limits are gonna be. Have fun!

If you're flying long distance missions, apart from some good advice already stated, you might really want to consider doing an antenna mod with something like a dbs or a terminator, etc. There are current threads here on the subject. It's not only the better thing to do in terms of helping yourself keep signal throughout and therefore really easing the nerves, it's the more responsible thing to do to help really stay in control of your bird. A tracking device is all well and good but you're still beyond control at that point. Just because litchi will accomplish the mission for you when all signal is lost doesn't mean you should become complacent about what you're doing which is purposefully sending your bird out beyond your control. If long distance is your game, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't take the extra steps that are absolutely available to you to help keep connection throughout, instead of shrugging your shoulders and not caring. You will be glad you did, for sure.

In the preparation of a mission, I sometimes click around the Litchi map (which seems to be Google Earth) to check the recorded elevations in questionable areas. Litchi Hub shows waypoint elevations relative to your home point anywhere you pin a WP. I find it very useful. It's only available from the Litchi hub however and not from their IOS app. But, I honestly have trouble creating missions on my iPad Mini, especially when it's so much easier on a full size PC. I have better luck with a mouse than my shaky finger:(

I did that for all subsequent missions.

Here's the near miss, btw!

You have great videos BTW. I like the changing of the seasons - nice editing!
I thank you kindly! Yes a LOT of work went into that one, and silly me, I picked the wrong tree. It's the biggest tree in the park, but now quite old and so the change of the seasons wasn't as evident. I'm currently doing a horse chestnut in the same vein, so the colours should be great with the greens turning to yellow and red over the course of a few weeks.

But the concept was good,

Reactions: Dounin Front
I thank you kindly! Yes a LOT of work went into that one, and silly me, I picked the wrong tree. It's the biggest tree in the park, but now quite old and so the change of the seasons wasn't as evident. I'm currently doing a horse chestnut in the same vein, so the colours should be great with the greens turning to yellow and red over the course of a few weeks.

Yes, the changing of the seasons was great...nice job! I'm going to try that myself. Thanks for the inspiration. BTW, what editor do you use?

I just flew this mission tonight. Perfect night with 4mph winds at 300ft. I lost video feed at waypoint #5 and completely lost RC signal from #9 through #20. I kick up my heels, put my controller down and used my trackimo app to watch its progress. Having a Trackimo definitely makes litchi missions more tolerable.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I just flew this mission tonight. Perfect night with 4mph winds at 300ft. I lost video feed at waypoint #5 and completely lost RC signal from #9 through #20. I kick up my heels, put my controller down and used my trackimo app to watch its progress. Having a Trackimo definitely makes litchi missions more tolerable.
I just read some pretty bad reviews on Amazon for Trackimo. Reliability and Tech support. Besides that, it seems like the hot setup.

I just read some pretty bad reviews on Amazon for Trackimo. Reliability and Tech support. Besides that, it seems like the hot setup.

Yeah I read all the bad reviews about Trackimo before I bought mine. After weighing all the available tracking device options, this is by far the best choice. It's extremely small and weighs next to nothing, comes with a year of service up front, then $5 a month after. I'm very happy with its functionality and the app interface is simply and effective. Mine is discreetly mounted in a holder I bought off eBay. Looks very stock when mounted. It doesn't interfere with the compass or signal either.

The only other option worth buying is Flytrex. Bit its expensive, bigger and installation is a nightmare. All those Bluetooth devices claim to be great trackers are worthless.

The big regret I have with my Trackimo is buying it without knowing that AT&T will be completely shutting down their 2G network on January 1st 2017. Trackimo apparently just released a new version that'll run off 3G. Mine can't be upgraded, so I'll have to buy a new device all together (Trackimo is giving existing customers a whopping $30 discount on the new one. Lol....)

Reactions: Dounin Front

@happydays

BTW, did you set up Litchi with an orbit waypoint mission and use that for all of your flights? The transitions between the scenes is seamless. The only thing that seems to change is the tree. Fantastic job of editing!

Also I want to add another question. If you're flying a mission route and your battery hits the level for rth, will it break the mission and rth? Even if there is no signal?

The answer is YES. (flying a Litchi mission) I just had this happen two days ago at 2.6 miles out at 100 feet above the ground, but 300 feet above take off level. I still had control, but just some quick brakes in video. I was not given the choice to abort the return to home. It just started to return to home. Once on the way back and with solid video, I went to FPV and flew it back. When I got back, I had plenty of battery and flew for several more minutes. I really wanted the option to not let the RTH initiate, because I only had about 500 feet more to get to my turn around point on my Litchi Mission, but there was not a choice.

Litchi is great. I have over 152 miles on Litchi now with my Phantom p3 Pro. No real problems, that I couldn't solve.

Joe
KC7GHT

@happydays

BTW, did you set up Litchi with an orbit waypoint mission and use that for all of your flights? The transitions between the scenes is seamless. The only thing that seems to change is the tree. Fantastic job of editing!

Well, I started before orbit became an option on Litchi. I originally set up each shot using the same point above the tree (using the paths for orientation) then set the radius at 40m, height at 40m and a 4 m/s rotation speed. Easy to do, but Litchi just makes it so much easier. When it became a iOS option, I used that.

Now for the editing, I was able to use FCPX to 'move' the frames around so that they lined up well - however this left black bands at the top and sides of some shots - so to get over this, I exported the clip, then re imported it, cropped it to remove the black, added Vivaldi's Four Seasons and away you go.

Learning how to use FCPX on the go!

Reactions: DennyBoBenny

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers