Litchi Conundrum

Reaction score
Being an avid Litchi fan I had a small problem today while flying a mission. The mission (waypoint) ran fine except for the last three waypoints. I had set the POI elevation to 6 feet and placed it in the center of my cousin's roof. As I flew by his house (the only house surrounded by huge fields and trees), the camera pointed in the right direction but seemed to point way too far down (as if I'd placed the POI quite a few feet away from his house instead of dead center). The closer I got to the house, the better the point of focus got but never where I wanted it. Litch has never let me down so I was quite perplexed. I rechecked all the mission settings, reloaded the mission and ran it again. EXACTLY the same results. I was determined to solve this. I had to take a 2 hour break as I had pending business to attend to. Driving back, I kept thinking about it. Suddenly, as I threw my 16th beer out the window (just kidding!), it came to me! The house was on a hill! Relative to my takeoff point, the base of the house was probably 60 feet higher! Placing the POI at 6 feet was actually placing it 54 feet BELOW the house! No wonder it appeared to be next to the house and kept moving! Litchi doesn't compensate automatically for elevation changes. I reset the POI for 66 feet of elevation and fired off my P3S again. Not perfect but better (I was guessing at the height of the hill). Moral of the story: Litchi did what it was supposed to do. It followed MY instructions, which was a mistake. So, if using Litchi for a waypoint mission and the POI seems off, check your elevations! Is there a firmware update somewhere for my brain?

Last edited:
Reactions: jcoop and gvsukids
I don't have Litchi, but I'm surprised that the app doesn't compensate for changing agl. Sound like a sure recipe for eating dirt, or at least tree branches, when flying over some unfamiliar terrain.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello,
I noticed when using fly litchi hub to program waypoints, there it tell you this was point is x feet above or below the home location. may want to route out online then edit if need be

Hello,
I noticed when using fly litchi hub to program waypoints, there it tell you this was point is x feet above or below the home location. may want to route out online then edit if need be
Good idea! I usually plan the route in the field though. I just wasn't thinking. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try!

If you make the mission on google earth you can make it automatically compensate to changes in ground level and stay at a certain height relative to the ground. Then you just upload that into the litchi hub.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: gvsukids

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31