Litchi Compass Error - every time!

Reaction score
So I just bought the Litchi Program, and find that with both of my P3P drones I have to calibrate the compase practically every time I get out. The DJI Go program seldom asked me to do this, flying in the same geographic area with each. Is Litchi just that much more sensitive maybe? :rolleyes:

So I just bought the Litchi Program, and find that with both of my P3P drones I have to calibrate the compase practically every time I get out. The DJI Go program seldom asked me to do this, flying in the same geographic area with each. Is Litchi just that much more sensitive maybe?
Litchi uses the same compass input as DJI Go or any other app you might fly with, so the issue should not be software related.
Look at the local area where you are launching the Phantom for any steel (including reinforced concrete) that could be what the compass is warning you about.
When you get a compass error, it's not that the compass has a problem that needs to be fixed.
It's your compass warning you that' it's detected a (magnetic) problem and the cure for that is to move away from the problem it's warning you of.

As Meta4 says ... its not the APP at fault as the APP only reports what its given by the RC and AC themselves.

It would be highly unusual for Litchi to show error like this and GO not to as they both have same data input from the AC Compass.

I know this will bring out the nays ........... but I always do my Calibrations using GO, based on that is the manufacturers developed software. Litchi is created using DJi approved and should be fine ... but I just like to be sure.

Have you tried calibrating using GO ..... then shutting down .... restarting with LITCHI ? You should get a situation that calibrate once and forget it then.
As Meta4 suggests ....... what happens when you move away from that spot and restart all up again ? Its no good having all powered up and moving ... the warning flag is up and often it needs power down all and restart to clear.

Like I said, 'new to Litchi..." and when it first happened (in my back yard) I didn't even know how to calibrate in Litchi so I switched to GO....once it booted up it was already in the calibrate menu waiting for me to OK. After that Litchi controlled well. Next day in the park, there was no message for calibrate before takeoff, but once in the air (and orbiting a flag pole) I got the message again. I just landed and switched to continue with my photo's in GO. Yesterday I set up to take a group photo where I work. Calibrated the P3P compass (in Litchi) before I took off (since I learned how to do it with just the lights blinking). Was in the air about 5 minutes and the error popped up again. There was a big metal building nearby, but I was 200 ft up at the time. Also lots of High Voltage around the factory, but nothing too close to me. I was working out of a parking lot though, perhaps the automobiles had an adverse effect.

I was just thinking that last summer I only calibrated 2 or three times total with GO only, and found an aerial request to calibrate a bit unusual. Here's a situational question, what if I answer OK while in the air? Will it expect to rotate and nose dive?:rolleyes:

Bottom Line... I need lots more practice!

Basically get to a nice clear open space ... a farm field is best as sports fields can have allsorts under the surface ..

Calibrate your compass and leave it alone after ... for 99.9% of the time - you should never need to re-calibrate unless something physical happens to the model.

If you find that you power up and it shows Compass Error ... DO NOT CALIBRATE COMPASS !! Power down and move a few metres and then power up again. If it still shows Compass Error ... power down and move more ...

Some really bad places to have compass errors :

Back gardens ... front driveways ..... road surfaces ..... kerbside paths ...... Because often they have pipes, cables, all sorts under.

Consider this ... you mistakenly calibrate in a bad magnetic spot. You take-off .... once that influence dies away - it shows error during the flight .... carefully bring her home and find a clean spot to sort your calibration.

OK in flight and it comes on ... it should NOT plummet or fall ... but what is now - it has no directional data ... so you carefully command to see which way it moves on screen / in sight to determine orientation ... bring her back which will usually be ATTI mode now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik