Litchi app with phantom 4 auto record stops after 10 mins aprox and starts again

Reaction score
Halo,

I have had this issue a few times and can't figure out why:

I use litchi for 18 mins aprox flights and I use auto recording function at 1080p 30 fps or 4K somethimes.

My card is 64gb sandisk extreme pro so it's fast enough and exfat format.

So speed or format is not the issue.

It will record for about 10 mins then will stop and start recording again.

Any ideas why?

Halo,

I have had this issue a few times and can't figure out why:

I use litchi for 18 mins aprox flights and I use auto recording function at 1080p 30 fps or 4K somethimes.

My card is 64gb sandisk extreme pro so it's fast enough and exfat format.

So speed or format is not the issue.

It will record for about 10 mins then will stop and start recording again.

Any ideas why?
Its reached its 4gb file limit,

As stated above, for some reason the P4 only records up to 4gb, then starts a new file. It is frustrating as you may lose a few frames between files. Just got to learn to edit around the split.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just to add.. EXFAT is similar to FAT32. (which the P4 uses). Neither file system can support files larger than 4 GB.

That is not true. None of it. Phantom can work with both formats, exFAT and FAT32. Unlike FAT32, which has file size limit of 4GB, exFAT has basically no limit. Unfortunately Phantom will still make the 4GB file splitting regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It records in sections as a safety feature.... If one file is corrupt you still have the other sections to watch. If it was all linked and then a corrupt file.. then you will lose all the footage ;-)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

In actuality, this is a Microsoft caused problem. The FAT, and exFAT, are both file formats that they invented and defined. FAT was designed with that limit hard coded in the spec. It has been causing problems in the video world for many many years. ExFAT was created to remove that limit. DJI never modified their software to take advantage of the new spec, although they will write to exFAT, they still split the files at the old limit.

It is really not much of a problem, as the two files are easily joined in any video editing software, as the action continues across the cut invisibly.

In actuality, this is a Microsoft caused problem. The FAT, and exFAT, are both file formats that they invented and defined. FAT was designed with that limit hard coded in the spec. It has been causing problems in the video world for many many years. ExFAT was created to remove that limit. DJI never modified their software to take advantage of the new spec, although they will write to exFAT, they still split the files at the old limit.

It is really not much of a problem, as the two files are easily joined in any video editing software, as the action continues across the cut invisibly.

If you just join them split is very visible. Some frames are missing.

Not for me. I have joined more than a dozen, with no problems. What are you using for editing software. I have used both Final Cut ProX, and Resolve with no problems.

Not for me. I have joined more than a dozen, with no problems. What are you using for editing software. I have used both Final Cut ProX, and Resolve with no problems.

Missing frames on split is well known and documented issue on P3P. They are just not there. Post can smooth that out but if you just merge last to first frame you will be missing some in between.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
You are correct. I am wrong. I looked more carefully at the shots I had joined, and there are missing frames.

Nope. Thanks for the consideration. I have worked out a set-effective workaround using Resolve 12.5. If you put a 2 frame freeze on the end of the outgoing shot, and a 2 frame freeze on the head of the incoming shot, and bridge all 4 freeze frames with the Resolve smart cut, you can markedly reduce the impact of the jump cut. The Resolve Smart Cut creates a morph dissolve between the frames, and the added 4 frames to it come close to matching the time interval missing, so the motion timing appears almost intact.

OK I learned something new today, thanks. Always wondered why this happened to me. However, I rarely make a video of 10 mins plus, I usually make a composite of the flight, with only the best bits, only the pilot has the patience to watch 10 mins of the flight.

That is a good idea. Editing always makes the piece better. The problem becomes important when the break occurs in the middle of a shot you want to use

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj