Lipos on a plane

SMD

Reaction score
Still a newbie with only five flights at this point. Late next month I'll be traveling to the other side of the country to do some advanced training and also a shoot. I'm going to try to have as much air-time as possible prior to my trip. I've read a lot of posts about traveling with quads / lipos. The video below seems pretty comprehensive. When taking lipos on a plane he suggests to wrap each one in seran / plastic wrap, then place each battery into a separate plastic bag and then into a lipo bag. Along with discharging the battery before flight is this is good plan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iJDjx8fQzI

You should cover the battery contacts with something (e.g. tape) and pack them in your carry-on bag. Don't attempt to discharge your batteries (it's not required). Not only would that be impossible (without some kind of 3rd party discharger), you would damage your batteries if you managed to completely drain them.

What about if I fly my P3 the day before my flight and not charge the batteries? That's what I was referring to in my post.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum SMD. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

They don't make a distinction on charged or not charged. Less charge (within safe battery limits) is probably safer. Carry on only and don't forget they consider the charger to count against your battery limit. - https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...edia/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Last edited:
Which battery limit are you referring to?
My mistake. There is a limit on high amp batteries (limit 2) and I was mistaken in thinking the P3 batteries were in that range. I looked and they fall short of what the FAA range (100-160) and the P3 is only 68. So thank you for pointing out my misinformation. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers