LiPo Safe bags - The hidden DANGER - fiberglass!

Reaction score
Surprisingly enough, LiPo Safe bags can rather be more dangerous than something to increase safety.

Most cheaper brands - and let's face it, some of use do have them, do not have an inner lining above the fibreglass cloth that all bags have anyhow.

Have is happened to you that when you reach in the bag for a battery, it stings?

Or have you had a bag go old and thus the cloth inside scratched, or destroyed a bit; and so you'd get the same sting, even harsh?

Fibreglass is dangerous as I see it. What do you think?

And here I thought they were asbestos...
:shock:

I'd say you need to replace your bag if it's stinging you. While it may cause skin irritation, isn't inhalation of fiberglass a greater concern?

Fiberglass is hardly "dangerous", unless inhaled or ingested.
For skin contact, it is simply an irritant. They "stinging" you feel is not any sort of chemical reaction. That is actually the splinters of glass poking your skin. They will usually stay attached to the fiber, but if contact ever leaves any shards in your skin typically dabbing the area with duct tape will remove them and you're unlikely to suffer any further effects.

It's certainly nothing to really worry about.
And if you really can't stand the irritation, you simply put on a pair of gloves prior to possible contact.

That's not the idea; about skin irritation. It's fine with me by itself; but again, as noted, inhaling it is a greater concern; and when the bag goes old it starts to release tiny glass wool particles when opening it; or they stay on the batteries (static sticks them on there); where inhaling it becomes a possibility.

What do you guys think? Are you concerned with this regarding your bags?

And, on asbestos, yes, I was afraid a bit that it may be that, although I am reading it's glass wool. May it be asbestos?

If you have a health concern about something, remove that something from your life. Buy a new bag. None of us can evaluate the health hazard in your situation. If you don't feel comfortable, then that's your answer. Although a bag falling apart doesn't sound like it meets it's intended purpose anyway.

Buk said:
Although a bag falling apart doesn't sound like it meets it's intended purpose anyway.

EGGGGGGsactly.

If your bag is falling apart to the point that the fiberglass is beginning to deteriorate, it's time to get a new bag anyway since it's capability to protect against the hazards it was intended to protect against has been compromised.

Plus, you're likely breathing fiberglass fibers everyday... since it's what they use in the insulation in your home, office, and most any other structure you happen to frequent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl