Lines in video when filming at night

Reaction score
Just got a p3s and every time i try to record at night, there are little horizontal lines going across the video, tried to play around with the settings, but still not luck

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the same drone as you. I also took it for a night flight just yesterday. Is this video straight from your phone? Because usually when you upload it to your phone you can see the lines on the screen if you were getting bad connection during the flight. For instance if there were a lot of metals or interference around. But when you upload it to your computer it should cancel out the lines and come out a little more crisp. Also your depends on what kind of phone you have.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jointeffort
Yeah he is right, it sounds like it's the video your phone records from the live feed during your flight. If you download straight from the SD card it should look better, keep in mind you will always get more noise during dark videos like this.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jointeffort
Since the youtube video has a 1440p option, it doesn't seem like it's the version that would have be cached during the flight. However, as mentioned, it looks like a result of noise. Digital sensors often struggle in dark scenes, especially when running at the highest resolution. Some cameras are able to use additional sensor pixels to effectively improve light gathering capability, but I don't believe our phantoms can do it (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). In the end, I believe it's simply a limitation of the camera.

I have the same thing. It's like watching a bad VHS copy.

I have a P3S and the video files were read from the microSD card to the computer. I have attempted some post-processing and while it got rid of most of the nasty noise, I also lost mid-tone details in the process.

I used a trial copy of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (I'm still evaluating other video editing apps as well) and just played around with Color Corrector, Brightness and Contrast filters. It's more like fiddling than it is a science, so be gentle.

If anyone can share how nighttime P3S videos can be improved, that'll awesome!

Here it is... The exact same clip showing the Original (unedited) version on the first half, and the processed one after that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic