Line of sight distance

Reaction score
Am I correct in saying that the Ground End and Air End must remain intact during flight?

Specs say the line of sight distance is 2km (6561ft/1.2 miles). Does this sound correct?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 652
The groundstation is set up to continue executing the mission even if the air and ground ends loose their link. I haven't tested the range on the connection though.

Really? I'm reading everywhere (peoples comments) that the links need to stay connected or the phantom will just hover and RTH if link is broken.

The first question under "GENERAL Questions" on this page addresses that: http://www.dji.com/product/pc-ground-station/faq

To be clear, the GS has to maintain the link if you're flying joystick or "go" mode or it's waiting for the next mission. If the link is lost (or absent) in either of those circumstances, it'll hover for a bit then fly towards home if the link isn't regained.

However, if you've uploaded a mission and executed it, it will continue to fly that mission even if the GS link is lost in the process.

Fdnyfish said:
Never seen the FAQ as there is none listed for the iPad. I guess it's the same. Thanks for the link.

Now I'm excited !!!

No problem! It's tricky because the info is spread across their site, under the iPad GS, the PC GS, and the 2.4 DataLink sections. All work the same, other than just what interface you choose.

This question came up last year in the rcgroups forum. In my experience when I had the GS on a 450, the 450 would return to home if the iPad crashed or died. Someone else on the groups was saying that it would keep going. We went back and forth. I told him it didn't work like that because my iPad ran out of juice while flying once and so I knew first hand. He said he knew first hand it would. We agreed to disagree. One person wanted to use the ground station to fly the border of his couple mile long fence line and then review the video footage when it returned to see if the fence needed repair. I don't know if he ever was able to accomplish this.

Not sure if this helps you guys out but in my experience once the air end has been uploaded with its mission it will continue to fly regardless of if connection is lost to the ground end. In the example of checking a fence line, yes that would work, even if there are lots of trees/buildings around. I have flown several where GS link was lost and the P2 continued on its merry way.

I have also had missions within LOS out to 1580m using GS and the iPad (ground end) never lost signal. Personally I think this is because it was powered with 12V instead of USB but the jury is still out on that. That's where the range of the GS comes into play, you can still track progress up to a rated 2km away (probably more in reality).

I have just purchased the Dji Phantom 2 with gimbal. I wanted to possibly add the DJI 2.4GBT DataLink and use the PC Ground station. Can someone tell me if all the waypoints need to be within the range of the RC Radio? Or can I allow the PC ground control to send it out and then have it return.

I have seen part post bus know one really said how it can be done. So any help would be very much appreciated.

Grandpa Jake

Ksc said:
This question came up last year in the rcgroups forum. In my experience when I had the GS on a 450, the 450 would return to home if the iPad crashed or died. Someone else on the groups was saying that it would keep going. We went back and forth. I told him it didn't work like that because my iPad ran out of juice while flying once and so I knew first hand. He said he knew first hand it would. We agreed to disagree. One person wanted to use the ground station to fly the border of his couple mile long fence line and then review the video footage when it returned to see if the fence needed repair. I don't know if he ever was able to accomplish this.

KSC,
Yeah, I'm in process right now of doing this, after looking at several other platforms the Phantom is the only one with the proper flight times. The other option was a flying wing which could stay aloft for almost an hour, but it required a more active involvement. The phantom 2, after fine tuning of the waypoints could be operate by my wife & the lightbridge option you can view the fence lines in real time instead of record & view. I am hoping over time I can share the costs with adjoining property owners but I won't hold my breathe.

Thanks,
Steve
Wormwood

Wormwood said:
Ksc said:

what is the lightbride option? I never heard of that?
KSC,
Yeah, I'm in process right now of doing this, after looking at several other platforms the Phantom is the only one with the proper flight times. The other option was a flying wing which could stay aloft for almost an hour, but it required a more active involvement. The phantom 2, after fine tuning of the waypoints could be operate by my wife & the lightbridge option you can view the fence lines in real time instead of record & view. I am hoping over time I can share the costs with adjoining property owners but I won't hold my breathe.

Thanks,
Steve
Wormwood

Hi Wormwood

My applications also require following define routes, being able to reuse them later, and also a live view.

Can you confirm that DJI Lightbridge can be used in conjunction with the Ground Station app for IPad or PC?
If so would I need two devices one for the FPV and one for Ground Station?
How would it work?

Cheers

Once the mission is "uploaded" it will continue full mission and return even if the groundstation link is lost...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj