Limited Range with New Vision 2 +

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Newbe here from Missouri. I received my Phantom a couple of weeks ago and have been playing with it extensively. I made a few maiden voyages in some open fields using GS. The problem I'm running into is I lose phantom connection when the bird is only 400 feet out. It continues on it's mission and completes it without issue, returning home. It will reconnect once its gets home and hovers at the preselected altitude. At any rate, it appears to be the wifi connection to the camera as I still have control with the controller. Is there any way to check the extender out to see if it's putting out what it's supposed to? I ordered off of Amazon instead of through a dealer so the only option I have I'm guessing is to send the bird and controller in to DJI. But I hate to wait no telling how long to get it back. Is there anything else I can check out on my own? I thought of cracking the extender open to see if there are any loose cables like for the antenna. I have the ITElite antenna mod on the way but there's still not something right and I'd like to fix whatever is wrong to get me at least up to where it should be with regards to distance performance before adding any enhancements. I've spent a few hours searching on this forum for similar issues but all I've found is where people have intermittent connection issues even with the bird close up. I have no connection issues as long as the bird is within a couple or three hundred feet. It clearly looks like a signal strength problem. Or at least it does to me. Any ideas? Thanks! BTW, I've never crashed it..............yet

Do you have an unobstructed line of sight between controller and bird? No trees or hills?

Yep. Perfect LOS all the way.
Have you checked for any WiFi signals close or tried a different location? If not that I would install the ITElite antenna if that goes beyond you will know it was your stock 2.4 antenna.

Have you checked for any WiFi signals close or tried a different location? If not that I would install the ITElite antenna if that goes beyond you will know it was your stock 2.4 antenna.
I tried in two different locations. One was in a large open field pretty much away from everything and the other in my backyard. Could I maybe need to rebind the extender to the camera?

I tried in two different locations. One was in a large open field pretty much away from everything and the other in my backyard. Could I maybe need to rebind the extender to the camera?
What device are you using to view FPV?

What device are you using to view FPV?
Samsung Galaxy S5. Tried two different apps. The original DJI Vision and Vision Plus for Droid. Same issue on either app. Just did a rebind and still has limited range.

Samsung Galaxy S5. Tried two different apps. The original DJI Vision and Vision Plus for Droid. Same issue on either app. Just did a rebind and still has limited range.
Took the extender apart and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Antenna connections look good. May have to crack open the phantom this weekend. Supposed to get the ITelite mod next Tuesday. It never aborts its GS mission when I send it out on one, even after it's lost connection. I assume the waypoint coordinates are uploaded to the Phantom during connection on the ground so it doesn't need a continuous connection to carry out the full flight?

One signal should come from phantom the other signal should come from the repeater on controller end.

Cayman, check your tablet too. Some of them in the set up have it to connect to the best wifi signal with internet. Since the v2 doesn't have that when it get out a little then your tablet may be jumping to find a better signal. May have nothing to do with yours or everything. Some have had to turn off the auto connect to get it to stay connected with the bird. Just another angle to try.

Cayman, check your tablet too. Some of them in the set up have it to connect to the best wifi signal with internet. Since the v2 doesn't have that when it get out a little then your tablet may be jumping to find a better signal. May have nothing to do with yours or everything. Some have had to turn off the auto connect to get it to stay connected with the bird. Just another angle to try.
Tried everything I can think of. I give up. I guess my options are a) send it in to DJI and do without for who knows how long, b) order a new extender and birdside module, even though I've only had it for two weeks and it should still be under warranty, c) throw it in the trash. I have an Itelite antenna mod coming but it's no sense in installing it if I can't even get 300 feet out with the original setup!

Tried everything I can think of. I give up. I guess my options are a) send it in to DJI and do without for who knows how long, b) order a new extender and birdside module, even though I've only had it for two weeks and it should still be under warranty, c) throw it in the trash. I have an Itelite antenna mod coming but it's no sense in installing it if I can't even get 300 feet out with the original setup!
Update:
So I disconnected and reconnected two of the ribbon cable connectors going into the gimball, one of which was the 4 wire connector. Took it out and now I've got well over 3 times the range I once had! WTH!? What would the camera/gimball connections have anything to do with the wifi signal?

I use an I pad air or I phone 5c for FPV so I don't have this problem but I've been told by a very reputable DJI dealer that if you are not using an apple product for FPV you have much better results by being in airplane mode an then linking to the phantom wifi.... Apparently non apple products will search for a better wifi signal and drop you off your phantom wifi.... I do NOT know this first hand as I'm using Apple this is just what I've been told... Good luck!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.