Lil' dirt/sand in gimbal (lesson learned)

Reaction score
I went for a flight today. Practiced in Atti mode (No positioning) with a little wind. Landed on my dirt driveway. It's a nice hot sunny day here so the driveway is dry (sandy/dusty). Went to put the gimbal clamp on and the gimbal was a little bit stuck on a tilt. I put it back in position carefully. It wasn't so stuck that it would brake moving it. Went to put the gimbal clamp on again and heard a gritty sound. I moved the camera up and down and heard it again. I kept doing it and blowing trying to get it out and it got a little better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: JKaddouri
Vacuum first to get loose dirt and not drive it in any more. Can of dry air to blow it out well. Tuner cleaner blow it again. Repeat last two as needed. Just my suggestion.

I went for a flight today. Practiced in Atti mode (No positioning) with a little wind. Landed on my dirt driveway. It's a nice hot sunny day here so the driveway is dry (sandy/dusty). Went to put the gimbal clamp on and the gimbal was a little bit stuck on a tilt. I put it back in position carefully. It wasn't so stuck that it would brake moving it. Went to put the gimbal clamp on again and heard a gritty sound. I moved the camera up and down and heard it again. I kept doing it and blowing trying to get it out and it got a little better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Same thing happened to me. My motors were bound with sand and could feel sand grinding when turning them manually. I used an air compressor to blow sand out of motors. Have had hours of flying since and no problems.

I read canned air will dissolve your phantoms shell, be careful with that stuff.

Your gimbal will be grinding the sand, so it will be wearing out much faster. If you're unlucky, it might even get stuck during flight, and you will get "gimbal obscured" error. But besides that, nothing bad should happen - gimbal is not a high power component.

That is why so many of us always hand catch, and get someone else to hand launch if there isn't a suitable takeoff area. I have also learnt this lesson with a p2v+.
I've never done anything other than hand catch and only occasionally do I not hand launch. It's not hard, in fact I hand catch partly because landing has always seemed the harder thing to do..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj