Reaction score
HI, I currently have the P3S and am a bit disappointed with the range. Am thinking about upgrading to the P3A but just wondering if it is worth it? What is the main differences between wifi and lightbridge? and how does lightbridge work?
thanks

You can mod your P3S for better range.

Whether it's "worth it" to upgrade to a P3A is kind of a personal choice.

Lightbridge is proprietary, complicated, not easy to understand and even harder to explain. I suggest you search and read up on it if you're interested.

Welcome to the site!

My understanding is the argtek mod isn't very highly regarded. I'd go with the ITELITE maxxrange antenna.

From my own experience I did have a standard.. and so disappointed with the range. Got about 60 feet before it list signal. So I got a refund and paid a bit more for the advanced. I trebled my distance (and this is a built up urban city area where I am) I then took it to a field. And it flew over a mile and half at an altitude of around 900 feet high. Personally I would recommend it

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would say the same .My Standard has pathetic range and has been sent back under warranty.I bought an Advanced and now I wish I hadn't wasted my time and money (DBS booster plus second controller etc) on the Standard .The Advanced is worth the extra money as far as I'm concerned.

Sixty feet distance is a little low.

You might take a look at the following thread. The OP modded his P3S and in early testing got 40,000 feet distance, returned, and landed safely. That was early in the thread - early in his testing (see post 23) - and I'm sure he did better later in the thread.

This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Reactions: Neon Euc
HI, I currently have the P3S and am a bit disappointed with the range. Am thinking about upgrading to the P3A but just wondering if it is worth it? What is the main differences between wifi and lightbridge? and how does lightbridge work?
thanks

its worth it.

if you want range just go for it and get the pro
Used DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K CP.PT.000181

I have had P2 vision plus, p3s, p3a , and now p3p,
all from BH , used, all perfect flyers
a couple have many hundreds of flights...

wifi is just that ,
wifi that is in every home and office around.
thus interference prone

Lightbridge uses wifi freq to send a proprietary digital signal that can carry very far with little power.

Wifi is simply not even close in workability.
sure you can add amps/antennas etc.and spend money but in the end it is still wifi.

good luck and have fun flying!

Sixty feet distance is a little low.

You might take a look at the following thread. The OP modded his P3S and in early testing got 40,000 feet distance, returned, and landed safely. That was early in the thread - early in his testing (see post 23) - and I'm sure he did better later in the thread.

This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Mark
all true but do you have any idea how much time and money is invested to do that?

Many just want to grab and fly like me,
not interested in tripods, big amps, and antenna farms..lol

I can put my pro in the air in 60 seconds ready to go a couple miles as is

Reactions: TechTom
What we have to keep in mind is where people are coming from.
My self I had never owned a quad before. Just R/C planes 25 years ago.
Do I want to drop $800-1000 on my first outing ? No way.
I had never spent more than $150 on an R/C and plane back in the day.

So then it comes down to specs.
4K ? Naw my tv only shows 1080.
3 mi range ? Nice but I can't see it beyond 1000 feet.
So the choice was simple, the standard for $449.
But now I want greater range. (don't we all)
New antennas are far cheaper than a pro at $1000.

Reactions: sinxa

can do a pro for far less I bought mine at Xmas 2015 for 850 and still flying perfect

Used DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K CP.PT.000181

no problem
have fun and enjoy!

I was answering the OP question for what it is worth!
the 3ps is awesome for what it is and does ,
I have owned it and p2V+

just honestly saying until you have it (Lightbridge) you really don't know what the difference is, and it is real!

have fun flying!

I also upgraded from the standard to the advanced, best move ever, really changed the whole experience of piloting a quad at long range, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

While little is in the public domain with respect the intricacies of lightbridge there is a growing community of dedicated enthusiasts who are demonstrating amazing results in video transmission over wifi. Through implementation of the "wifibroadfast" protocol (part of the existing wifi standards) many are achieving or exceeding the range obtained by lightbride with, in some instances, lower latency. Wifibroadcast allows for continuous data transmission without the need for the receiver to verify the integrity of the received data and the necessity to resend packets which aren't complete. The absence of data verification and retransmission allows the link to continue to operate at an acceptable level at significantly greater distances. It is highly likely lightbridge is nothing more than a slick implementation of wifibroadcast.

You can mod your P3S for better range.

Whether it's "worth it" to upgrade to a P3A is kind of a personal choice.

Lightbridge is proprietary, complicated, not easy to understand and even harder to explain. I suggest you search and read up on it if you're interested.

Welcome to the site!
Are you able to link to any resource where lightbridge is explained? I am interested, despite the said complexity. My efforts to find anything of any significance have proved unproductive.

One of the most common posts I see here and don't understand is people complaining about the range on their standard. Are they trying to find the busiest street in New York then try to fly down it, and when they can't go far, post it on here? I live in a more rural residential area in the middle of a forest and a decent amount of wifi where i take off. I could pull 700 meters stock and 1000 meters (at least) with a less than $40 antenna mod. obviously light bridge is going to top that and probably push 1-2 miles where i fly but there is nothing wrong with the wifi and I am clueless what these people are taking about when they say they can only get 60 feet out.

Are you able to link to any resource where lightbridge is explained? I am interested, despite the said complexity. My efforts to find anything of any significance have proved unproductive.
No sorry. I did read up on it last winter via google just to get a basic understanding of it.

Just because your Standard works fine doesn't mean there isn't a problem with lots of them .It just means you're lucky and therefore you should buy a lottery ticket while your luck holds.

Just because your Standard works fine doesn't mean there isn't a problem with lots of them .It just means you're lucky and therefore you should buy a lottery ticket while your luck holds.

Not saying that every standard is flaw-free, but most immediately sell it and conclude the whole line of standards will operate the same. I just think the standard has a lot of bad rep because people run into problems more than the adv/pro do :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20