Lightbridge on Vision+

Reaction score
I posted this on the Lightbridge forum and didn't get any response. I was wondering if someone in this forum can help answer the question:

I apologize in advance if this has been covered in detail. My search has only added confusion for me. I have a relatively new Phantom 2 Vision+ and the new RC with the training port. I absolutely cannot stand the FPV resolution, even on a tablet. Add to that the WiFi unit just went belly up. Rather than throw more money at the WiFi replacement I want to possible switch to the Lightbridge. I figure it may be overkill on the phantom, but as my needs grow I can swap the Lightbridge to my future aircraft. I figure I would yank out the receiver, the WiFi unit and those functions would be replaced with the LB flight unit. That said, can someone please outline for me what the viability of this is and exactly what is involved in the conversion?

Thanks... looks fairly easy. But can't I pull out the WiFi unit and mount the LB Air component in its place? All the telemetry and video will now come from the LB.

Mopar Bob said:
Thanks... looks fairly easy. But can't I pull out the WiFi unit and mount the LB Air component in its place? All the telemetry and video will now come from the LB.

You can pull the wifi unit, which will reduce weight, but I don't know about putting the air unit "in its place". The air unit needs to breathe, which is why it has a fan. I would not recommend it.

Very good point varmint. Besides the weight of the WiFi, I would also eliminate one source of GPS interference, correct? Do you know if the LB unit has interference issues?

Mopar Bob said:
Very good point varmint. Besides the weight of the WiFi, I would also eliminate one source of GPS interference, correct? Do you know if the LB unit has interference issues?

That's a super good question... The Lightbridge is on 2.4ghz. Wouldn't that cause troubles with the control module also on 2.4? You would assume DJI has some way around this or how could they sell Lighbridge for the Vision 2+ at all... but you would think it wouldn't work.

Loaderbull said:
The control on a P2V+ is 5.8Ghz.

No, the LB takes the place of the control Rx completely and routes control signals digitally though the same stream used for video. The tx is plugged into the LB ground unit via a trainer cord and then the servo leads go from the LB air unit directly to the FC. There is no control interference because the video and control signals are bundled together. You will however have to buy a separate sBus compatible controller, preferably a Futaba 10 or 14

Loaderbull said:
You will however have to buy a separate sBus compatible controller, preferably a Futaba 10 or 14

Is that true anymore? I thought the "new" vision plus controller comes with a trainer port? If so.. for $100 you are set.

DrJoe said:
Loaderbull said:
You will however have to buy a separate sBus compatible controller, preferably a Futaba 10 or 14

Is that true anymore? I thought the "new" vision plus controller comes with a trainer port? If so.. for $100 you are set.

It does come with a trainer port, but As far as I can tell, it's nowhere near compatible with a Futaba plug, which is what the LB accepts. I guess it is yet to be determined what that port will actually be capable of.

Elsewhere in the Lighbridge Wiki, it does say that you can also leave the 5.8Ghz standard receiver hooked up if you want to.

I'd be a bit surprised if DJI's trainer port doesn't work with their own hardware. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it required a new cable.

CityZen said:
Elsewhere in the Lighbridge Wiki, it does say that you can also leave the 5.8Ghz standard receiver hooked up if you want to.

I'd be a bit surprised if DJI's trainer port doesn't work with their own hardware. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it required a new cable.

Actually, apparently the new Tx is Lightbridge compatible for sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnkujs_FHg

Not sure where Bladestrike got the cable, but they're obviously obtainable.

varmint said:
Loaderbull said:
The control on a P2V+ is 5.8Ghz.

No, the LB takes the place of the control Rx completely and routes control signals digitally though the same stream used for video. The tx is plugged into the LB ground unit via a trainer cord and then the servo leads go from the LB air unit directly to the FC. There is no control interference because the video and control signals are bundled together. You will however have to buy a separate sBus compatible controller, preferably a Futaba 10 or 14

Yes I know, but it won't take control of the 5.8Ghz P2V+ controller? For that you will need another new phantom 2.4Ghz controller (and 2.4Ghz receiver module) with the trainer port as you say, or a different branded controller. I was led to believe you can use a Vision + 5.8Ghz controller without it being connected to the LB , used as just a normal RC controller via the 5.8Ghz RF.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

Per my understanding, you've got two choices:
1) Use the Lightbridge system exclusively: controller attached with training cable to LB ground; LB air connected to Naza in place of normal receiver.
2) Use the regular 5.8Ghz receiver & controller (not connected to LB).

What would be very helpful is if someone that has done it could post the parts needed to do it. Am I missing anything? Where to get cables and cost?

Lightbridge Units
P2V+ Lightbridge Cable for installation in Phantom
P2V+ 5.8 remote controller
Cable from remote controller to Lightbridge

DrJoe said:
What would be very helpful is if someone that has done it could post the parts needed to do it. Am I missing anything? Where to get cables and cost?

Lightbridge Units
P2V+ Lightbridge Cable for installation in Phantom
P2V+ 5.8 remote controller
Cable from remote controller to Lightbridge

It would seem this is the topic to ask your questions: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28456

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj