Lightbridge, how does it work?

Rip

Reaction score
I've just bought a P3A, I have the DJI GO app, an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1"

Are my devices lightbridge compatible? If so do I need to do anything to make it work, do I need different apps or anything? Or do I need like more hardware?

Lightbridge is the transmission system between the drone and the remote, phone/tablet etc don't matter. Nothing has to be "compatible" with Lightbridge.

Lightbridge is the transmission system between the drone and the remote, phone/tablet etc don't matter. Nothing has to be "compatible" with Lightbridge.
So I don't need to do anything? I notice there is a DJI Lightbridge app (android), do I need that?

No, you only need DJI GO ( Pre- P4 edition) or Litchi. Consider Lightbridge as only the transmission system from the Aircraft to the Remote and vice versa, you do not need any extra hardware or apps.

Android or IOS makes no difference in that regard. Whichever you prefer.

I've just bought a P3A, I have the DJI GO app, an iPhone 6 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1"

Are my devices lightbridge compatible? If so do I need to do anything to make it work, do I need different apps or anything? Or do I need like more hardware?
Yip i use tab A 10/1 android .just plug usb in and fly :) and enjoy

No issues with video lag? The Tab A 10.1 isn't on the official recommended tablet list.
There is, but it is slight. I switched to a Galaxy Tab2-8, and works quite well. I still use my Tab A6 for DJI GO, but only use it for maintenance as I fly primarily with Litchi.

No issues with video lag? The Tab A 10.1 isn't on the official recommended tablet list.
Gosh heaps of device not reco work well..had few issues early in but was usb cord,was no good from new,played with cam settings found one no glitching or freezin or pink and green all gone ,im on 1080/24fps with 64gb sd card for tons of space,this is the 2016 TAB A 10/1 ,do also use 8"TAB A ,couple years old now but still good,had to go android from day one with this addiction because any apple or ios device here cost you 2 arm and a leg ,still this 10/1 cost me $$600,just got sic of tryin to see silly little phone screen,heres a pic of how set device up to choose which app i want to use ,so bottom line samsung work great for me:)
20170622_151558.jpg
bad picture ,camera not happy

Reactions: Rip
Gosh heaps of device not reco work well..had few issues early in but was usb cord,was no good from new,played with cam settings found one no glitching or freezin or pink and green all gone ,im on 1080/24fps with 64gb sd card for tons of space,this is the 2016 TAB A 10/1 ,do also use 8"TAB A ,couple years old now but still good,had to go android from day one with this addiction because any apple or ios device here cost you 2 arm and a leg ,still this 10/1 cost me $$600,just got sic of tryin to see silly little phone screen,heres a pic of how set device up to choose which app i want to use ,so bottom line samsung work great for me:)View attachment 87283bad picture ,camera not happy
Awesome thanks, my Tab A is also 2016 so hopefully it will be Ok.

There is, but it is slight. I switched to a Galaxy Tab2-8, and works quite well. I still use my Tab A6 for DJI GO, but only use it for maintenance as I fly primarily with Litchi.
Well I'll give my Tab A a go tomorrow and see what it's like.

In answer to the OPs question, the Lightbridge system was originally devised for DJI hexacopter systems before the phantoms were developed. Early DJI multirotors used to use a basic radio transmission system and suffered from signal breakup at distances. Also, the control signals were transmitted using open 2.4GHz and the operator usually self fitted an FPV system using 5.8 GHz. (Indeed most of the systems being sold at that time were self build systems using a DJI kit or similar which you customised as you saw fit and almost all of them used a GoPro as the camera). However, as the 2.4 GHz frequency is the same as many wifi installations, there was often interference. Lightbridge was developed and sold as a control signal system that could cover vastly greater distances without interference, however it was rather expensive.

The introduction of the Phantom 1 changed the market completely as this was ready built, all you had to do was to install the legs, fit your GoPro and away you went.

When the Phantom 2 range came out it converted to control using 5.8GHz with a wifi extender to boost range and the inbuilt FPV system used the 2.4 GHz range, the thinking being that it would be better to lose FPV than control signal.

With the introduction of the Phantom 3 range, all systems converted to Lightbridge and therefore had much improved range and stability. DJI then introduced the P3 Standard and P3 4K which reverted to the old Phantom 2 technology for control and FPV. The P3S and P34K are the only Phantoms that now use the older wifi technology and that explains their lack of range.

In answer to the OPs question, the Lightbridge system was originally devised for DJI hexacopter systems before the phantoms were developed. Early DJI multirotors used to use a basic radio transmission system and suffered from signal breakup at distances. Also, the control signals were transmitted using open 2.4GHz and the operator usually self fitted an FPV system using 5.8 GHz. (Indeed most of the systems being sold at that time were self build systems using a DJI kit or similar which you customised as you saw fit and almost all of them used a GoPro as the camera). However, as the 2.4 GHz frequency is the same as many wifi installations, there was often interference. Lightbridge was developed and sold as a control signal system that could cover vastly greater distances without interference, however it was rather expensive.

The introduction of the Phantom 1 changed the market completely as this was ready built, all you had to do was to install the legs, fit your GoPro and away you went.

When the Phantom 2 range came out it converted to control using 5.8GHz with a wifi extender to boost range and the inbuilt FPV system used the 2.4 GHz range, the thinking being that it would be better to lose FPV than control signal.

With the introduction of the Phantom 3 range, all systems converted to Lightbridge and therefore had much improved range and stability. DJI then introduced the P3 Standard and P3 4K which reverted to the old Phantom 2 technology for control and FPV. The P3S and P34K are the only Phantoms that now use the older wifi technology and that explains their lack of range.
Thanks!

Reactions: happydays

The reason I know this is that I once considered building an F550 From a flamewheel kit. I had just lost a P1 and a GoPro (after just three weeks ownership). I had researched all of the options, priced everything out, decided on the various pieces of kit and then DJI announced the P2V which had everything in one easy package (except a gimbal) for about half the price of what I was about to buy, plus the battery lasted twice as long (early units lasted about 12 minutes).

Honestly, we really don't know how lucky we are that the phantom 3 and above are so good, despite some minor niggles.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj