Lightbridge and iOSD mini

Reaction score
I understand that the LB has its own telemetry data but that requires a smart device to decode (ie smart phone, etc)

I want to use my Black Pearl LCD monitor instead.

My question is, can you still use the iOSD mini to transmit its telemetry data through the LB and thus be able to see it on my regular LCD display?

Moved to Lightbridge forum.

I don't think you can do this via Lightbridge. LB works with a digital HDMI input from the camera and sends that directly to the ground end (along with digital telemetry). iOSD only accepts and overlays a screen over an analog video source.

ElGuano said:

I don't think you can do this via Lightbridge. LB works with a digital HDMI input from the camera and sends that directly to the ground end (along with digital telemetry). iOSD only accepts and overlays a screen over an analog video source.

what youre saying makes sense but i saw this on the LB users manual:
Screen_Shot_2014_05_13_at_7_15_17_PM.png

ElGuano said:

There is also a standard AV input so you could route a non HD video signal from iOSD into that input, then on the app select which input you want. Don't get why you would buy a lightbridge to just run a non HD feed though.

Its not that i want a non-HD feed, its that the iOSD has better telemetry data than the LB such as the "diamond" which shows your position on the screen clearly and other data like azimuth which is missing on the LB telemetry.

shaunmed said:
Its not that i want a non-HD feed, its that the iOSD has better telemetry data than the LB such as the "diamond" which shows your position on the screen clearly and other data like azimuth which is missing on the LB telemetry.

I hear you. Remember that the LB was built for a different target market; it's intended mainly for photographers and videographers who need a full frame HD view for composition, so the telemetry display is as out of the way as possible. The iOSD is made for real FPV flying, and puts this information front and center.

Maybe there'll be an FPV mode added later, maybe there'll be an FPV version of the LB released, who knows. But my thought is that a true FPV layout isn't currently a priority for the LB...

do you think the LB can transmit non HD video better (ie with more clarity or resolution) than a standard analog video transmitter like the ones in current use?

what I'm asking is, can you feed the standard video signal (from back H3-2D connection with the GoPro that goes to the main board/ iOSD) to the LB and have that transmitted instead of the video signal from the HDMI port of the GoPro?

ElGuano said:
shaunmed said:

I hear you. Remember that the LB was built for a different target market; it's intended mainly for photographers and videographers who need a full frame HD view for composition, so the telemetry display is as out of the way as possible. The iOSD is made for real FPV flying, and puts this information front and center.

Maybe there'll be an FPV mode added later, maybe there'll be an FPV version of the LB released, who knows. But my thought is that a true FPV layout isn't currently a priority for the LB...

But even those folks presumably need to bring the bird home correct ?

http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=15255

damoncooper said:

I don't have a LB, so I can't say firsthand how well the new indicator works. But looking at the videos, it seems quite intuitive, and gives you more information at a glance than the diamond.

As the quad goes farther away, the red arrow moves away from center (home point). You can see at any instant its relative position and its cardinal direction. That's even a visual representation of azimuth. Want to bring it home? Just rudder until the arrow faces the middle of the circle (same as diamond in middle of screen) and head forward. I really don't see how it's any harder to use, and it's a lot more visually intuitive at any given point, especially in cases in which the diamond would be off the screen and just represented by a left or right arrow.

ElGuano said:
damoncooper said:

I don't have a LB, so I can't say firsthand how well the new indicator works. But looking at the videos, it seems quite intuitive, and gives you more information at a glance than the diamond.

As the quad goes farther away, the red arrow moves away from center (home point). You can see at any instant its relative position and its cardinal direction. That's even a visual representation of azimuth. Want to bring it home? Just rudder until the arrow faces the middle of the circle (same as diamond in middle of screen) and head forward. I really don't see how it's any harder to use, and it's a lot more visually intuitive at any given point, especially in cases in which the diamond would be off the screen and just represented by a left or right arrow.

those are good points. who knows maybe in a firmware update we'll get more functions. i got an email from my supplier and he says DJI is shipping on 5/25 to US retailers.

shaunmed said:
ElGuano said:
damoncooper said:

those are good points. who knows maybe in a firmware update we'll get more functions. i got an email from my supplier and he says DJI is shipping on 5/25 to US retailers.

That's strange. I received my order last week.

shoot i called them and theyre back ordered now. know anyone thats got any in stock currently? thank you.

Paydirt! I found one and I'm having it express shipped to me!

Now I have to find a way to view it as I have a Blackpearl LCD and that wont show any telemetry data.

Any suggestions? what do you use?

ah yes, thank you and sorry.

a little off topic but do you think the Futaba 8J is just as good as the 8FG if all that i'm going to do with it is flying my P2 H3-2D through the lightbridge?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers