Life expectancy

Reaction score
Something that has been top of mind for me is what the life expectancy is for my P3A. I assume it mainly hinges on the battery life. I've got about 700,000 feet logged and the batteries still show to be very good. Just curious what others have seen with their birds.

Something that has been top of mind for me is what the life expectancy is for my P3A. I assume it mainly hinges on the battery life. I've got about 700,000 feet logged and the batteries still show to be very good. Just curious what others have seen with their birds.
Just enjoy my first P3A Has around 3.678,888ft 120 flights
second P3A has around 1,878,885ft 40 flights

Two P3A over 1300km travelled no problems at all

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 531
Good info to know. Both of you have not had to replace batteries either?

I'm well over 300 flights with my P3P and everything is still stock. Still using my same (2) original batteries but have added several more over the year. With that being said my oldest are still 99/100% but that's because I have a few and cycle through them ALL each month.

'm well over 300 flights with my P3P and everything is still stock. Still using my same (2) original batteries but have added several more over the year. With that being said my oldest are still 99/100% but that's because I have a few and cycle through them ALL each month.

I have 8 batteries. Their status are:

#1 cycle:22 life:95%
#2 cycle:28 life:93%
#3 cycle:16 life:96%
#4 cycle:27 life:94%
#5 cycle:17 life:96%
#6 cycle:9 life:98%
#7 cycle:16 life:96%
#8 cycle:17 life:96%

This seems to give LIFE = 100 - 0.2357 * cycle, so 0% life at 424 cycles.

That seems to be much lower lifetime that yours :(
Anybody an idea why my batteries show lower life, I am only at 200 flights.

Mine are (as of right now per Healthy Drones)

#1 53 Charges, 99% (9 hr 41m 59s logged)
#2 51 Charges, 100% (9 hr 41m 23s logged)
#3 43 Charges, 98% (9 hr 2m 41s logged)
#4 58 Charges, 100% (12 hr 16m 54s logged)
#5 7 Charges, 100% ( 0 hr 46m 09s logged)
#6 4 Charges, 100% (0 hr 57m 53s logged)

But keep in mind that a "cycle/Charge" isn't every time you put it on the charger. If it only requires a small charge it doesn't deduct a FULL Charge from you. If that makes sense LOL

* Edited battery #6 info.. I had 14 charges and it's only 4*

That seems to be much lower lifetime that yours :(
Anybody an idea why my batteries show lower life, I am only at 200 flights.

It could be a use issue, storage issue, handling issue or many different variables. I admit that I treat mine with a LOT of care and gentleness. I don't try to push the limits and I am very careful in regards to battery temps etc. I can't say that helps or not but I don't think it hurts. Plus my average flight is less than 10min simply because of how I fly and such.

Usually my flights are more in the range of 12-15 minutes. That could be the way the battery calculate its lifetime, only if they run bellow 50% it is counted or something like that.

Reactions: BigAl07
Usually my flights are more in the range of 12-15 minutes. That could be the way the battery calculate its lifetime, only if they run bellow 50% it is counted or something like that.

Yes there is some "Creative Logic" involved we just don't know exactly what it is or how much it affects the #'s.

Just enjoy my first P3A Has around 3.678,888ft 120 flights
second P3A has around 1,878,885ft 40 flights

I can see the first P3A averaging around 30k per flight. I am probably close to that. The second, though: how are you getting almost 47k per battery? I would love to get that.

I only have 23 charges on my three batteries, and all three show 3 solid and 1 blinking led when I do the hold button test. So out of the three batteries I did a test on two of them, and discharge them down to 4%. Then I recharged those two batteries and tried the same hold the button test, same 3 solid 1 blinking. So deep cycle on the two batteries did not restore back to 4 solid LEDs, which I used to get. Will try the same deep cycle on my thrid battery, but I don't expect to see 4 LEDs..

I only have 23 charges on my three batteries, and all three show 3 solid and 1 blinking led when I do the hold button test. So out of the three batteries I did a test on two of them, and discharge them down to 4%. Then I recharged those two batteries and tried the same hold the button test, same 3 solid 1 blinking. So deep cycle on the two batteries did not restore back to 4 solid LEDs, which I used to get. Will try the same deep cycle on my thrid battery, but I don't expect to see 4 LEDs..

How did the DEEP cycle go on the 3rd battery?

I gave up measuring totals. Sometimes I use GO, sometimes Litchi. As long as it keeps flying, so will I.

I'm with u as far as measuring totals, the only thing I keep an eye on now is the four cells in the GO APP, and volts on main screen..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: happydays
I'm more concerned with motor life expectancy, at least with batteries you can test & see results.
With motors, I don't know of any warning signs of failure, does anyone?
Other than, Oh my God a motor quit!

BLDC motors don't wear out per se. They last 100s of hours. It is the bearings which move/wear and this can be monitored generally by post-flight motor temps and to some extent sound.

I get the bearings could wear, especially if one fly's in dirty, dusty area's.
I have read here that one can grip the main shaft, & wiggle it back & forth, illustrating bearing wear.
Funny you mention sound, on take off the other day, I heard a "different" motor sound, but I;m pretty sure it was a prop.flexing, there were weird gusts of wind, as the gusts hit, sound changed.
Original props, one feels, more flexible than others do, if you know what I mean
Changed props, at the cost of props, not worth guessing if they're good.

The bearings are sealed so not a real concern. Of course a dirt-dive will get sand in other close spaces and can cause friction etc. As far as sound you'll just have to develop a range of 'normal' as there will be many transient changes but a continuous or increasing oddity could be reason for investigation. If props are not subject to trauma or excessive hub wear you can expect long service life. I have a set on a P2 that are over 1.5 yrs old.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl