Licensed pilots

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what portion of sUAV/RPA operators on this forum currently hold pilot licenses from the FAA or its equivalent in other countries. When the magic rules eventually materialize in the US and elsewhere they could have a head start over the rest of us.

Check the last part of section 9.1.1.1 of the http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...tions/uas/coa/faq/media/uas_guidance08-01.pdf AVIATION SAFETY UNMANNED AIRCRAFT PROGRAM OFFICE AIR-160 Interim Operational Approval Guidance 08-01 (page 15):

For the PIC (Pilot IN Control) to be exempt from the pilot certificate requirement … the PIC must have successfully completed, at a minimum,FAA private pilot ground instruction, and have passed the written examination.

I got my private in '87. While training I was renting Cessna 152's for $20 an hour dry, about $30 an hour wet. That doesn't even pay for fuel now.

I have been flying since 1976 and am still active. I fly a Cherokee and a Commander. I now have a Phantom 1 and a Phantom 2 Vision. Its a flying thing! I thought I would add a few comments.

I believe that the FAA might get creative in their approach to drones and I hope it is similar to how they see ultralights. In the ultralight world the FAA says "...it should be emphasized that the individual ultralight operator's support and compliance with national self-regulation programs is essential to the FAA's continued policy of allowing industry self-regulation in these areas." There are minimal regulations regarding ultralight vehicles or ultralight vehicle pilots. (different than ultralight aircraft) The definition of ultralight is the key. (weight, engine size, load capacity) A 2,000 pound drone carrying a payload of 200lbs is a bit different than a Phantom. Being smart in flying and having a self regulating industry is huge.

There are now different types of pilot ratings. As an example, the Sport Pilot rating requires the following:
There is no minimum pilot experience required for the proficiency check. You need an instructor to sign you off in a Light Sport Aircraft (has an N number).
1. Meet Medical and Eligibility
2. Pass a FAA Sport Pilot Knowledge Test
3. Receive flight instruction in an
appropriate aircraft.
4. Pass a FAA Sport Pilot Practical Test
5. Sport Pilot Certificate Issued

Number 1 requires EITHER a pilot medical certificate or a valid driver's license. The lack of a minimum number of flight hours is significant because an instructor decides if you are safe to fly. There are guidelines for instructors. Maybe a drone pilot rating is in the works. (again with the same logic as is used with ultralights)

Got my license in 1996. Loved flying, but am retired now. Cost of owning and flying a plane is more than I can afford. Flying the P2V+ gives me the views I missed the most since I stopped flying.
Regina

In France the licence requirement already exists if you want to use it for commercial purposes. The regulations vary according to type of UAV but for the Phantom, which comes under the regulations for <2kg, you need to pass the same theory test as a ULM (micro-light) pilot, plus the quad has to meet certain specs, plus you need to demonstrate to a DGAC* examiner your ability to control your quad to a certain standard (so, like a driving test).

I won't have the time to study for it until after our season is over, which is the end of September, I but hope to get my qualifications before next spring.

*The DGAC is the French equivalent of the FAA in the US, or the CAA in the UK

Got my New Zealand Private Pilot Licence a couple of years ago. Very expensive hobby so only fly a once or twice a month. I'm sure the Phantom will work out a bit cheaper (as long as it doesn't develop a mind of its own and fly away).

Timtro said:
I'm curious to know what portion of sUAV/RPA operators on this forum currently hold pilot licenses from the FAA or its equivalent in other countries. When the magic rules eventually materialize in the US and elsewhere they could have a head start over the rest of us.

Check the last part of section 9.1.1.1 of the http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...tions/uas/coa/faq/media/uas_guidance08-01.pdf AVIATION SAFETY UNMANNED AIRCRAFT PROGRAM OFFICE AIR-160 Interim Operational Approval Guidance 08-01 (page 15):

For the PIC (Pilot IN Control) to be exempt from the pilot certificate requirement … the PIC must have successfully completed, at a minimum,FAA private pilot ground instruction, and have passed the written examination.

I have a Private Pilot license as well as Commercial Lighter than Air rating and about three hours of roter wing.

People need to keep in mind that the coming sUAS Rule will almost certainly treat hobby versus commercial pilots differently. Section 336 of the FMRA already carves out an exemption for hobby use under a CBO, and I suspect the coming FAA sUAS Rule will cover non-CBO hobby operations, but stop short of requiring a license to fly for fun.

Commercial use will have greater restrictions, and I suspect that at least having passed the ground portion of flight training will be required since one thing that teaches is how to read FAA Sectional charts. FAA will no doubt want to ensure that commercial pilots understand the basics of airspace, etc.

I actively fly a cessna 152, occasionally rent a 172, VFR only.

SilentAV8R said:
JRapt said:
Commercial rated Rotorcraft Helicopter here, CFI, CFII. Currently flying EMS.

A budy of mine flies EMS in Phoenix. One of his favorite sayings is:

"We can't fix stupid...
But we can fly it to the hospital"

Lovin it ..... the first part is one of my main mantra's of living in western society ... the 2nd part is just priceless when added :lol:

SilentAV8R said:
JRapt said:
Commercial rated Rotorcraft Helicopter here, CFI, CFII. Currently flying EMS.

A budy of mine flies EMS in Phoenix. One of his favorite sayings is:

"We can't fix stupid...
But we can fly it to the hospital"

You call, we haul! :D

All are invited to 1A7 in central TN. Lodging across the street. Bring Phantoms. Day only airport, approach over the river from either north or south. 3800 ft beautiful runway. No fuel. Check Google Earth Coordinated event?

I think the question has to do with a license for the drone itself, not a real aircraft that does require a licesne.

Currently, in the USA, there are no license requirements.
Canada and the UK require a license.

Suwaneeguy said:
I think the question has to do with a license for the drone itself, not a real aircraft that does require a licesne.

Currently, in the USA, there are no license requirements.
Canada and the UK require a license.

Licence in the UK to fly a UAV/UAS? nope. Not unless it's over a certain weight or you wish to operate it in congested areas or make money from it. Or have I (as is usual) missed the plot entirely? :D

all the best

Bmews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31