LHCP VS Directional

Reaction score
Of course im no expert on antennas so dont be too hard on me.
From what i could gather, the p2v+ uses left hand circular polarised antennas.
And to have a better connection, when modifying the controller you have to use the same type of antenna.

What happens when you use a flat panel directional antenna? Does it have a circular polarization?
If it doesnt, how does that affect the communication?
What if you dont want to modify the bird in any way, what is the ideal antenna for the controller?

Thanks

The result with a patch antenna is that you will need more gain in order to achieve the same distance, since you lose 3 db going form LHCP to linear polarization.
So what is achieved by a 9 dBi half sphere, you will need a 12 dBi patch antenna, that will make aiming harder, since the 12dBi patch will have quite a bit smaller beam width compared to a half sphere helix.

The other thing is that those high gain patches are quite large and unsightly compared to the small Half Sphere.

I believe what I'm using is a patch antenna ?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... UTF8&psc=1

Is that any good in your opinion ?

I have had good experience with it so far and even with my back to it (for testing) the range is surprisingly good.

I did just have an issue were I lost all RC functions at pretty close range and it automatically 'returned to home' but I don't think that is down to the antenna,
as I had heaps of flights with the new antenna before that happened. Had to reboot the Phantom to get it all working again as well.

BTW is a half sphere antenna LHCP ? An omni must be as well as that is the stock antenna yeah ?

kondorfpv said:
The result with a patch antenna is that you will need more gain in order to achieve the same distance, since you lose 3 db going form LHCP to linear polarization.
So what is achieved by a 9 dBi half sphere, you will need a 12 dBi patch antenna, that will make aiming harder, since the 12dBi patch will have quite a bit smaller beam width compared to a half sphere helix.

The other thing is that those high gain patches are quite large and unsightly compared to the small Half Sphere.

BTW when you say its LHCP... which part is making it LHCP ?? The antenna on the phantom or the transmitter or ???

Just trying to get an understanding of antenna's, L/RHCP etc etc.. having a tough time reading the info... but slowly getting there!

Can someone explain what antennas the P2V+ tranmitters and receivers use for the control and video(LHCP or RHCP or Both)? I understand that it is 5.8ghz for control adn 2.4ghz for the video. What is the differences in the gain being higher or lower on the antennas?

Spektrum 514 said:
Can someone explain what antennas the P2V+ tranmitters and receivers use for the control and video(LHCP or RHCP or Both)? I understand that it is 5.8ghz for control adn 2.4ghz for the video. What is the differences in the gain being higher or lower on the antennas?

The P2V+ uses LHCP antenna's for video on both the Wifi Range Extender (RE700) and the Phantom itself. They are small flat antenna's with left hand circular polarization, about 1 inch square (2 in the range extender and 2 in the phantom).

For control signal, it uses one vertically polarized antenna on the controller, and 2 vertically polarized antenna's on the phantom (5.8ghz).

Regards,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic