Lets talk about the AMA, My review.

Reaction score
sounds like a good organization to be a part of and support. Here are two things i dont like:
1) i purchased a membership for a year on the 18th of march. I recieved my membership card today and it says it is only good till 12-31-14 so thats not a year. I checked the website to reread the fine print today only to see now they are offering 25% off on memberships. thats irritating.

2) I have left 2 voice mails regarding insurance coverage and how it pertains to us and no response back a third voice mail was left today.

so while on paper it looks like a worth while organization but not really sure what happens if you actually had a claim or when you just need to speak to someone. what I am saying is buyer beware, my experience so far has been less than satisfying.

Hmmm, I just joined with a 3 month trial membership, haven't had any reason to contact them but after your report I will make a stab at it just to see if they either respond or answer the phone. I joined mainly for the insurance coverage if ever needed, but if you can't get a hold of them it is useless. Thanks for the heads-up.

I've been an AMA member for a few years now, flying Helis. You're correct, every membership expires on 12/31. It keeps the costs down in trying to get out renewal memberships at different times throughout the year. Do wish they'd pro-rate the membership fees though. I've never had a claim but from reading other forums the insurance is good protection and does include multi-rotors. In fact the AMA Magazine this month has a front page picture of a DJI on the cover. Well worth the membership fee for a $1 million liability policy and the print and online magazine. Finally, AMA has been a great advocate for the multi-rotor niche and has been working with the FAA in trying to slow down or prevent the onerous restriction on "drones".

I've been an AMA member for over 45 years. Not sure what number you were dialing, but the insurance person is Ilona Maine. You can email her at: [email protected]

You can also find answers to loads of questions in the documents: http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

Specifically, the Insurance covers you no matter what or where you are flying as long as you following the Safety Code.

Membership is on an annual basis, ending on 12/31 aech year.
Here is the dues policy: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/912.pdf

From that document:

WHAT: ** Dues policy for new, OPEN full category members.

WHY: To clarify the length of time your membership is valid, according to the
date of your dues payment. This is necessary since AMA membership
works on a calendar year basis starting January 1st, rather than the date of
your dues payment.

HOW: FIRST QUARTER: If you join AMA as a first time, new member from
January 1st through March 31st, you will do so at the full, open rate.

SECOND QUARTER: If you join AMA as a first time, new member from
April 1st through June 30th, you will pay the full, open rate. The
Following year, your renewal notice will reflect a 25% reduction in dues.

THIRD QUARTER: If you join AMA from July 1st through September
14th, you will pay the full, open rate. The Following year, your
renewal notice will reflect a 50% reduction in dues.

FOURTH QUARTER: If you join AMA from September 15th through
December 31st, you will pay the full open rate. You will receive
membership for the remainder of that year, plus membership for the
following year.

Thank you for your interest in joining the Academy of Model Aeronautics. If we can answer any
other questions for you concerning our organization, or membership in it, please call us at 1-800-
I-FLY-AMA (1-800-435-9262).

by SilentAV8R » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 pm

I've been an AMA member for over 45 years. Not sure what number you were dialing, but the insurance person is Ilona Maine. You can email her at: [email protected]

You can also find answers to loads of questions in the documents: http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

Specifically, the Insurance covers you no matter what or where you are flying as long as you following the Safety Code.

Membership is on an annual basis, ending on 12/31 aech year.
Here is the dues policy: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/912.pdf

Good info. Thanks for posting.

I received a call back last week and they were happy to accommodate me and address my pricing concerns, they also said they want to welcome drone pilots and insurance will be honored as long as we are flying to their safe code of conduct. So faith restored, still disappointed in the way memberships are handled but they will offer deeper discounts on a quarterly basis as the year moves on.

Two things to keep in mind. The Safety Code requires that you comply with all applicable FAA and FCC regulations. Not so much from the FAA right, but consider that FCC rules have some very specific things to say about modifying certified Part 15 radios. Bottom line is you cannot do much. Even a simple antenna change violates the FCC rules. But having said that, there are still many ways to operate legally and have a load of fun !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20