Let's hear it for the Standard!

Reaction score
I had a few people ask me what to suggest if they couldn't afford a Mavic or were starting out, so I usually suggest a P3S, but I finally looked into the actual specs and compared them for a bit of fun. Was actually a bit surprised in the end considering the difference in price... Is the Mavic worth the extra money? I love my Standard! :)

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin G
At about 40% of the cost of a mavic, I am very happy with my p3s. Then, if I get a mavic 2 or 3 in 5 years, I can pass my p3s down to my son. Ironically, it was my dads p3s that got me into one!

I really am glad I got a standard 3. I was on a budget and didn't factor in extra battery, case, extra props etc. I'm going to buy a mavic after awhile. But standard 3 does almost everything the others do. Upgrading get better camera, few more nic nacs smaller footprint...speed etc.

I really am glad I got a standard 3. I was on a budget and didn't factor in extra battery, case, extra props etc. I'm going to buy a mavic after awhile. But standard 3 does almost everything the others do. Upgrading get better camera, few more nic nacs smaller footprint...speed etc.
If you want a significantly bette rcamera, you'd need to go for the P4...... IMHO..

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

I'm pretty happy with my Standard! 3313 ft travel distance record. But usually 1500=2000 ft this is with the Argtecht antennae extension

I am very satisfied with my standard but instead of a mavic... I am thinking in upgrading to an advanced phantom 3. They are cheaper than a mavic and able to go as far as 3 miles which is far beyond of my desired distance plus you have a better controller too.

I am saving up for a Phantom 3 Deluxe. I think I may be able to go through Walmart and get one for 750.00 -825.00 3 Whole miles Wow! 1 would be super! The idea of pre programming your flights would be great too.

I am saving up for a Phantom 3 Deluxe. I think I may be able to go through Walmart and get one for 750.00 -825.00 3 Whole miles Wow! 1 would be super! The idea of pre programming your flights would be great too.
Are you talking about the phantom 3 SE?

I'm pretty happy with my Standard! 3313 ft travel distance record. But usually 1500=2000 ft this is with the Argtecht antennae extension
The range is the main issue; the P3 Advanced and Pro use different radio system again which does gove way better range.. I tried some sextenders on the P3S but they never seemed to make any difference....... Cheers, Ian

Range in semi-urban areas is my only issue.I love my ST and will totally stay with it 2 more years.I own it for 1n1/2 year.
I believe there are lots to come,taking into account the progress been made the last 3 years.

I had a few people ask me what to suggest if they couldn't afford a Mavic or were starting out, so I usually suggest a P3S, but I finally looked into the actual specs and compared them for a bit of fun. Was actually a bit surprised in the end considering the difference in price... Is the Mavic worth the extra money? I love my Standard! :)

Cheers,
Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

https://youtu.be/EW6g_lmZ44I
I have a standard but I find the video quality not as good as my pw vision plus v3. Any thoughts on why?

I have a standard but I find the video quality not as good as my pw vision plus v3. Any thoughts on why?
I can't say. Have you changed any of the video settings? You've seen the footage I've taken with my Standard on the video. What's specifically wrong with your video?

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

It seems dark. Current setting 1920 x 1080 30fps. awb 100 iso. What do you use?
Have you tried resetting to automatic? Also, there's another setting that I accidentally changed once that gave me very dark videos. It's like a scale that goes from -3 to + 3, but I can't remember it's actual name.... (you can only change it when the phantom is connected up and flying). I remember changing that back to zero made all the difference...
You can see the video I've taken, so I'm sure it's a setting that's just been changed somewhere that's causing your darker video....

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

Even better is/was the P3 4K. It's like a deluxe P3S with many upgrades. I fly it as much or more than my P3 Advanced, especially if I want to record in 4K. For the money, the P3 4K is absolutely brilliant.

I purchased the P3 Standard a little over a month ago. I have about 60 flights on it and I am in the process of purchasing a P4 Pro to get the better camera. The P3 Standard taught me a lot. My background has a lot of RC aircraft and helo's (although at least ten years ago) and the P3 Standard was ridiculously easy to learn to fly with my background. I have not had any crashes or incidences with it (knock on my skull) as of yet. I am still in the stage of learning to trust the machine and its operation but I am coming along nicely. As for a the P3 Standard it is a very good platform to begin with if you are a beginner. It is much easier than learning to fly RC aircraft the first time. I give it a thumbs up.

Have you tried resetting to automatic? Also, there's another setting that I accidentally changed once that gave me very dark videos. It's like a scale that goes from -3 to + 3, but I can't remember it's actual name.... (you can only change it when the phantom is connected up and flying). I remember changing that back to zero made all the difference...
You can see the video I've taken, so I'm sure it's a setting that's just been changed somewhere that's causing your darker video....

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London
I will try that. Thanks for your assistance. Will let you know the results.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20