Let's call it a quadcopter, not a drone

Reaction score
Part of the recent negative publicity surrounding our hobby has to do with the military's use of drones for spying and unmanned operations.

Thus, the word "drone" has become loaded, and is a liability to our hobby. Why don't we take charge of the narrative by consciously choosing to call the DJI products remote controlled quadcopters? True, they have self-piloting capability, but we are mature enough that we don't need to call them something that can hurt our hobby in the long run.

When I fly my Phantom 2 vision+ in the park, I notice more concerned people will ask if it's a drone, and then seem to disarm when I explain it's just a quadcopter.

Humans are not rational, and as members of this hobby, we should use that fact to our advantage.

You can call it Fred if you like but the world has decided it's called a drone whether we like it or not.

ianwood said:
You can call it Fred if you like but the world has decided it's called a drone whether we like it or not.

The world consists of people including you and me. If you don't believe you can make an impact, you won't.

houstonpilot said:
ianwood said:

The world consists of people including you and me. If you don't believe you can make an impact, you won't.
You and your Johnny come lately wishful thinking will have no meaningful impact.

Unless you count the people who laugh at you.

I I guess some of us like the more macho term "drone". I didn't mean to be combative or hurt the feelings of anyone who derives self-esteem from calling it a drone. Go right ahead, but I still stand by my point.

The train has left the station. Drone has entered the vernacular.
It's short and punchy and everyone out there already knows the word .
Quadcopter fails on those points.

houstonpilot said:
I I guess some of us like the more macho term "drone". I didn't mean to be combative or hurt the feelings of anyone who derives self-esteem from calling it a drone. Go right ahead, but I still stand by my point.

You're confused again. No hurt feelings here. Just laughing at you.

I derive no self-esteem from any toy that I own.

I leave that to shallow folks who don't want other people to call their toy a "drone."

I agree that we need to take action. But, drone is all the knowledge they have, so even though our drones are much smaller, with smaller rotors, I think confusing them with the new term: "quad copter." Might be too much.

Perhaps we print a document, that gives them a lot of information about the many uses of drones. If we make it too appealing, perhaps they will choose to keep the drone, that lands in their backyard!

I do see your desire to differentiate military drones from our drones! Size is a big factor, so perhaps the drones size will make them see the difference. Not having a hugh military drone on hand, might be our undoing. I had hoped our government would step forward, but even they would prefer a "military action" by a private drone, than admit it was even them who took such actions.

It is like my new Cpap machine is now conceived to be a military drone! I am also working on new names for our "Toys" that are seen as harassing devices.

I sincerely hope that such devices will develop new names. Heli-Drones isn't a bad start. Any other suggestions as helicopter-drones, still has drone in the title. Perhaps Amazon will be our supporter as not only do they sell them, but they will be one of the first companies to use them for deliveries.

hemorrhagic flyer said:
houstonpilot said:
ianwood said:

You and your Johnny come lately wishful thinking will have no meaningful impact.

Unless you count the people who laugh at you.

hemorrhagic flyer, why do you always have to be so rude to both older members and new members? I really would like to know what your problem is.

[quote="PhantomFreakaholic]

hemorrhagic flyer, why do you always have to be so rude to both older members and new members? I really would like to know what your problem is.[/quote]

Why does the truth make you uncomfortable?

That's where you need to start.

i always refer to mine as a Phantom. Quadcopter sounds toy'ish to me

hemorrhagic flyer said:
houstonpilot said:

I leave that to shallow folks who don't want other people to call their toy a "drone."

Checking your posting history, one could easily conclude that you do derive self esteem from being a complete asshat in 98% of your replies.
You're trolling. Simple and clear fact.

HailStorm said:
hemorrhagic flyer said:
houstonpilot said:

Checking your posting history, one could easily conclude that you do derive self esteem from being a complete asshat in 98% of your replies.
You're trolling. Simple and clear fact.

You fragility is noted as well as your confusion about what a "fact" is.

Sad, yet funny.

Every copier is a Xerox
Every tissue is a Kleenex
Every transparent sticky tape is Scotch Tape
Every quadcopter,Phantom and unmanned aircraft is a Drone.
If there's no pilot on board, it's a Drone.

You and every user on every multirotor and UAV forum can never say the word "Drone" again, and it won't make a difference.
We can't change it.

Yeah you don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with slim
(Jim Croce)

What do you say when asked what you're flying?
"A quadcopter"
'a what?'
"A multirotor aircraft with four propellers in a quad configuration"
'a wha?'
"An aircraft powered by four electric motors in counter-rotating pairs stabilized by an IMU and provided with positional awareness through a GPS receiver"
'a wh..at?'
"A Drone"
'Oh, got'cha, I read about 'em in Popular Science and saw them on "Mythbusters".'

Military drones got the early adopter advantage but with time and huge sales of recreational multirotors, perhaps the public will become more knowledgeable and be able to understand the way they know that the word airplane can describe a Cessna 150 or a B-1B.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1