P3 Firmware Lessons learned

Reaction score
As a person who records music for several hunting shows (and I edit video as well) I have learned that new updates aren't always the best route to go. In the recording world I use pro tools; many folks are always after the latest and allegedly greatest updates only to see perfectly stable systems disintegrate after an update.

Lesson here - if you have a stable and functioning platform and you are happy with it, leave it there!!

I applied lessons learned with unneeded studio updates to my P3Ps and have been a happy camper for over a year now with no further updates to my iPads or RC or anything else. Anyone else care to chime in?

PS - we recorded the last Mellencamp CD at his studio which has two generations LESS than what is current with software - and will stay that way until necessary.

Sent from my PT beating heart

It seems like Updates are an almost daily fact of life these days. In my line of work, copier and network repair, I am suppose to keep my equipment up to date. I do it from an SD card, and it takes about 30 minutes per machine. I service around 150 machines in my territory. Do the math. Most of the time the update is to correct some spelling error, or to change the sleep mode timeout. It is rare that any update is critical to machine operation. Updates to networks seem to always have unexpected consequences. Something worked before, and now it doesn't. I hate that! One of my customers did an update to their network a few weeks ago, and then the machine status reporting program stopped working. I didn't know why, the I.T. office didn't know why, the customer's home office didn't know why, and tech support didn't know why. So everybody blamed the other and wanted THEM to fix it. The local office passed the problem on to the Denver Colorado office, who then passed it on the the Salt Lake City office. Then three weeks later it started working again. And nobody says they did a thing to fix it. Ask me if I like updates?

I'll do updates if they are critical and mandatory to machine safety, or if ordered to by my home office. Sometimes updates are actually necessary to fix a crashing problem or program performance problem. I understand that, and will comply. Otherwise my philosophy is, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it"!

My P3P is flying just fine, but it is asking me to do an update. I'm scared to do it! However, my P3Standard is not flying fine ( short range problem), so I will do that one when it comes out. Got nothing to lose!

Reactions: jryser
I wouldn't mind updates so much if DJI, like everybody else in the tech world (and I'm looking at YOU Apple and Microsoft) didn't futz with locked bootloaders so you can't backtrack. In firmware's native environment, you should be able to load up any image that USED to work and have it CONTINUE to work unless you have fiddled with the hardware.

Now Paranoid Schizo In Loco Parentis DJI / Apple / Microsoft overmedicated legal staff has little kittens even THINKING about us Evil End Users doing Something Un Approved. The Horror. So no going back to the configuration that worked last week. Even if that configuration did not manage to start WW 3 or collapse the economy.

And of course, testing is relegated to a couple of units they found in the back room yesterday.

Yeah, good times.....

Just wait until your toaster is hooked up to the network.

I wouldn't mind updates so much if DJI, like everybody else in the tech world (and I'm looking at YOU Apple and Microsoft) didn't futz with locked bootloaders so you can't backtrack. In firmware's native environment, you should be able to load up any image that USED to work and have it CONTINUE to work unless you have fiddled with the hardware.

Now Paranoid Schizo In Loco Parentis DJI / Apple / Microsoft overmedicated legal staff has little kittens even THINKING about us Evil End Users doing Something Un Approved. The Horror. So no going back to the configuration that worked last week. Even if that configuration did not manage to start WW 3 or collapse the economy.

And of course, testing is relegated to a couple of units they found in the back room yesterday.

Yeah, good times.....

Just wait until your toaster is hooked up to the network.
WOW! It sounds like you have had your fare share of update problems. Very well said man.

Been doing this since we had to toggle the loader switches on PDP-8's. Uphill. Both ways.

And we liked it.

Reactions: jryser

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1