Lessons learned from a P3P newbie.

Reaction score
Ok, new to the forum and new to drones. Just bought my P3P a coupe of weeks ago. So far most of the flying I've done has been out at my friends 5 acres with really no issues. Now onto the lessons:
  1. DO NOT FLY IT indoors until you know what you are doing and even then. I have a big vaulted cieling in my entry / living / Formal Dining room and thought it would be a great idea to show off to the wife and distract the two year old who was screaming away because he had busted his lip open. For some strange reason I thought you had to switch to F mode for indoor flight (I know I'm an idiot and need to RTFM) so I take off and promptly lose control and now one of my wife's dining room chairs looks like this: [file]Drone vs Chair|none[/file]
  2. Be aware of your surroundings. I decided I wanted to fly near my home and went and found some fairly empty baseball fields. I dutifully notified ATC and used airmap to announce my intentions. Got everything ready and took off and then it all went to hell. I had noticed the truck next to me and recognized it for what it was, a portable cell tower. What I hadn't thought of is what that level of EMI would do to my drone from 50ft away. As soon as I climbed to their altitude the drone lost its mind and started to switch back and forth from GPS to alti mode. It started zipping across the ball field at the one small group of people there. I'm hauling butt trying to get control of it and wave them away. Luckily once it got far enough from the truck and the other 2 cell sites mounted to the light poles!?!?! I was able to regain control and bring it down safely. Scared the crap out of me and freaked the family out there with the crazy fat man and all this gear chasing the UFO flying over their head.
Otherwise this thing is a blast. Can't wait till I have a clue as to what I'm doing.

---Francisco

Great story :)

Unless you've got a room the size of an empty Costco Warehouse, never fly your Phantom indoors.

Reactions: TXDrone
Live & Learn. Thanks for sharing and taking the credit instead of being a blame shifter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj