Lens Hood

Reaction score
I decided to get a lens hood to try and help eliminate prop shadowing on bright days (not that we get many of those in the UK but just in case) so I duly fitted it as per this picture
40b2593229c026589a1b2d45c0735835.jpg

Turned the bird on and it was catching the floor when it did the gimbal dance. The only way I can put it on without it catching the floor is like this:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/10/4e1bfbbd76b60df27ba4cabf2ca687fc.jpg[/IMG
But I guess that this wouldn't have that much of an effect with the shadowing. Question I've got is, does the bird have to be on the floor when it does the dance? Or could I hold it and then put it down after the dance? Sorry if it's a bit of a daft question but I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a bit of advice on this?
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I doesn't. It does its dance just to assure that the gimbal motors can do their work.
I sometimes put it on the back of the back pack case. The cushions are somewhat higher. Maybe that helps also.
Do you already know whether the hood helps?

I would like to know how that works. I'm hesitant on getting one since I can't use it with my slip on filters.

I doesn't. It does its dance just to assure that the gimbal motors can do their work.
I sometimes put it on the back of the back pack case. The cushions are somewhat higher. Maybe that helps also.
Do you already know whether the hood helps?
Haven't tried it yet as today's been windy....again, but will update this after I have had chance to give it a go. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: rene van der meer
I can tell you that most photogs out there put them on not to shade the lens (as they often do not provide enough shade) but to add a little protection against accidental impact. As for shading the lens on your craft often just gaining some altitude then panning your gimbal down a bit will yield good results.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can tell you that most photogs out there put them on not to shade the lens (as they often do not provide enough shade) but to add a little protection against accidental impact.
That's what they say UV lenses (reference to a DSLR) are good for. Yeah, when I store my P3(s) I keep my PL or ND filter on my P3 camera to protect the lens.

That's what they say UV lenses (reference to a DSLR) are good for. Yeah, when I store my P3(s) I keep my PL or ND filter on my P3 camera to protect the lens.

That used to be the only reason for a UV filter. Today though UV filters are better and chips are sensitive to the UV that your eyes can not see. A good UV filter will improve your image quality a bit. There are also UV/Haze filters that rock for us landscape shooters in humid territory! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik