Lens Hood

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised the camera didn't come with a lens hood and they made the face of the camera so reflective. The flicker from the camera and halo when filming in the direction of the sun is really bad. I'm going to color in the face black, but was wondering if anyone had found a lens hood that happens to fit the camera. I ordered the filter kit but can't tell if it makes it easier to attach a hood or not.

If you search the threads here you will find several options that have been engineered/improvised. I'll be putting a flat black nylon version of this up for sale on Shapeways.com as soon as the first copy is delivered and I'm sure the design and production quality are up to snuff:

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,291
Mosleyh said:
If you search the threads here you will find several options that have been engineered/improvised. I'll be putting a flat black nylon version of this up for sale on Shapeways.com as soon as the first copy is delivered and I'm sure the design and production quality are up to snuff:

I'll be getting one! What's the part on the bottom doing. Any chance that can be removed (as an option) and just have it screw into the 46mm lens?

That was a design choice. I didn't want the hood to catch the breeze when flying forward, which I thought might make the camera shake. Also I didn't want to make filter threads out of nylon - I wasn't convinced that they could be 3D printed accurately. For those reasons, I made the diameter a bit oversized. That leaves a small gap around the inside (behind the lens) to allow for airflow. The frame bit at the bottom has two pegs that are the attachment points for a rubber band that wraps around behind the filter adapter frame. The top has one wide tab that clips behind the filter holder frame, and one that catches the lip of the filter. The prototype in the photo fits very snugly with no play once the rubber band is in place, and I tried it on several different filter widths. I also considered snap tabs that would clip to the back of the filter holder frame at the bottom, but they would be thin and therefore a potential point of failure. Once I have the sample from Shapeways, I'll post photos.

Here's the final design:

Attachments

• hoodrender.jpg
    hoodrender.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,166
Makes sense.

Would you be up for making some clip on landing gear extension skids as well. The goal would be to make them look as stock as possible. Almost like a direct extension of the current skids.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10106

My 3D guy is too busy to help out right now. I have an idea in my head but am unable to put it into a 3D model.

Mosleyh said:

How significant is the improvement of video quality? Even if black is the PLA that thin transparent at all? Did you model this on commercially available lens hood and just adapted to fit the phantom?

SlackerATX said:
Mosleyh said:

How significant is the improvement of video quality? Even if black is the PLA that thin transparent at all? Did you model this on commercially available lens hood and just adapted to fit the phantom?

I think we are mainly trying to remove the prop shadows from video and stills with the hood, not improve overall quality as much.

SlackerATX said:
Mosleyh said:

I noticed an improvement, but I think that the amount would be situation specific - angle to the sun, camera angle and such. It will be SLS printed Nylon, and I don't expect it to be translucent at all, but that kind of thing is why I want to see a copy first. I based the design on the petal lens hoods that come on full frame fisheye lenses, specifically, in my case, a Nikkor 16mm. After that it was just a matter of seeing how long I could make the petals w/o them showing up in the frame. In the process, I found out that stills have a slightly wider FOV than video on the FC200, interestingly enough.

gfredrone said:
Makes sense.

Would you be up for making some clip on landing gear extension skids as well. The goal would be to make them look as stock as possible. Almost like a direct extension of the current skids.

My 3D guy is too busy to help out right now. I have an idea in my head but am unable to put it into a 3D model.

I've thought of giving that a go while I wait for my RotorPixel Gimbal, but my printer is down at the moment. I'd really like some that flip up and still fit in my tradecraft case.

Mosleyh said:
gfredrone said:
Makes sense.

I've thought of giving that a go while I wait for my RotorPixel Gimbal, but my printer is down at the moment. I'd really like some that flip up and still fit in my tradecraft case.

I may go old school with some modeling clay and a knife. I'll put up a picture of what I'm thinking soon. Maybe some of the kids play-doh will work. :lol:

I use this. very light and no ill effects while flying. $3 bucks shipped from Amazon
PhantomLensHood.jpg

Amazon link (no longer available) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFCGMUS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
metal one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=46mm+lens+hood&_sop=15
More 46mm hood at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...fix=46mm+lens+h,aps&rh=i:aps,k:46mm lens hood
More 46mm hoods on eBay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=46mm+lens+hood&_sop=15
SlackerATX said:
Skipholiday said:
I use this. very light and no ill effects while flying. $3 bucks shipped from Amazon

Awesome. I'll give it a try. Do you have a description or link?

Printed this one on my 3D printer snaps right on the camera. I have not tested it yet but will give it a try and report back.

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 439
As for Landing Gear extension mentioned in the thread these clip on the original phantom landing gear to give a little more height.

I am going to print a set see how they work out...

Attachments

• DJI_LANDING_EXTENSIONS.jpg
    DJI_LANDING_EXTENSIONS.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 358
Skipholiday said:
Amazon link (no longer available) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFCGMUS/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
metal one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=46mm+lens+hood&_sop=15
More 46mm hood at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...fix=46mm+lens+h,aps&rh=i:aps,k:46mm lens hood
More 46mm hoods on eBay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=46mm+lens+hood&_sop=15
SlackerATX said:
Skipholiday said:

Awesome. I'll give it a try. Do you have a description or link?
Well that sucks. I don't think we can get any old 46mm lens hood? Some screw on etc.. If you have the filter kit do you just fit it over the kit?

Should be simple enough to modify it to fit over a filter but I don't have the filter set if you give me some dimensions I can do a re-design and send a prototype overt to you for testing..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic