Lens Filters

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with filters for the P2V. What filters work well, what doesn't etc. Also the best place to buy filters.
Any advice gratefully received

Ok that's great thanks I did see that, but wanted something more black and white, by lens filter if necessary!!!!

smatty2023 said:
Ok that's great thanks I did see that, but wanted something more black and white, by lens filter if necessary!!!!

In which situation do you think the use of B/W filter on Bayer sensor digital camera would be "nevessary"? Or useful, at all?

AnselA said:
smatty2023 said:

In which situation do you think the use of B/W filter on Bayer sensor digital camera would be "nevessary"? Or useful, at all?
I'm guessing he meant "something more specific" where it says "something more black and white"...

jimre said:
AnselA said:
smatty2023 said:

I'm guessing he meant "something more specific" where it says "something more black and white"...

I would suggest experimenting with image processing standard adjustments first, then special effects.

When I said black and white I didn't mean literally, sorry for the confusion I mean a more definitive explanation of what filters gives what effects that have been tried and tested with the P2V

smatty2023 said:
When I said black and white I didn't mean literally, sorry for the confusion I mean a more definitive explanation of what filters gives what effects that have been tried and tested with the P2V

I would like to see pictures taken with polarizer or graduated ND. Based on my experiences on non-flying cameras, I am sceptic about their usefullness; to be effective, both filter types needs adjustment after the camera has placed in shooting position. Setting the filter on ground and positioning the camera so that the filter works best way, may work? Although I cannot imagine how a graduated ND can be set in DJI adapter, e.g. so that it aligns with horizont in the image?

Plenty of people have reported they have the DJI filter adapter and filters. Have I missed the posted sample images?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8615

I did a "review" of the performance of a cheap polaroid polarizer and posted a brief video clip. The shiny lens surround on the Vision causes flare and reflection against the inner surface of the CP filter - I might experiement with dulling it down with some matte black electrical tape or similar removeable system. A DIY lens hood might help with that too. I posted a short video clip which was a bit better in terms of the flaring and shows that the cheap CP certainly cuts sun glare and reflection from water surfaces and gives good contrast from clouds to sky (the clouds do "pop" out quite nicely).

I did take stills too but they suffered from this reflection problem. I don't know how more expensive CP's would fare but when we next get some sun I'll go out and try again with something covering the lens surround to make it less reflective.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks pull_up it would be great to see how you get on, my lens kit arrived this week but didn't want to spends loads on a CP filter if you didn't get any gain. I think I will invest and see how it goes what with the lack of sun at the moment it won't have to work very hard

Pull_Up said:
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8615

I did a "review" of the performance of a cheap polaroid polarizer and posted a brief video clip. The shiny lens surround on the Vision causes flare and reflection against the inner surface of the CP filter - I might experiement with dulling it down with some matte black electrical tape or similar removeable system. A DIY lens hood might help with that too. I posted a short video clip which was a bit better in terms of the flaring and shows that the cheap CP certainly cuts sun glare and reflection from water surfaces and gives good contrast from clouds to sky (the clouds do "pop" out quite nicely).

I did take stills too but they suffered from this reflection problem. I don't know how more expensive CP's would fare but when we next get some sun I'll go out and try again with something covering the lens surround to make it less reflective.

You nailed it Pull_Up, thanks for the idea. I was puzzled with the bad lens flair I was getting with a UV filter (a good one at that). Today I put a disc of matte black foil (with a hole in the center for the lens) between the front face of the camera and the filter. Lens flair eliminated.

AnselA said:
Pull_Up said:
I've poked him, given him what we need, including measurements, he's on the case. Matte black or other dark colour vinyl sized to fit exactly. Prototyping has begun... ;)

Prototyping of what? "Vinyl"?

He owns this business: http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-graphics.php

I asked him if he could produce a made-to-measure quality vinyl sticker in black matte to cover the shiny FC200 lens surround to cut the reflections causing glare on the inner side of the filters.

Reactions: dirkclod
Here are is a comparison with and without a CPL (tiffen):

Without

DJI00002 by iresq, on Flickr

With

DJI00004 by iresq, on Flickr

The CPL shot was taken without the benefit of rotating the filter. These are straight out of camera. Funny, when I preview them on the forum, the differences aren't as dramatic as they are on my PC.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik