Lens cover/ Gimbal lock On/Off

Reaction score
Alright gang, Im getting my second P2V+ in today and have to ask the masses. Do you leave the lens cover off or put it on each time your done storing, and same goes for the gimbal lock...on or off? I keep my bird stored in a hard case and think the gimbal lock should be on for support during transport but as long as she is flat and stationary Im thinking burn the bra!!!

It's a tough call. The gimbal is so delicate I'm always paranoid I'm going to break it.
I have been replacing both, though I just got a backpack today and have decided to leave them off while just storing. I will definitely put them on in transit though.

I have a postflight routine and put them both back on. But if the thing was just going to sit until the next flight I don't see any harm in leaving them off. My fear there would be misplacing the lock and cover or forgetting they are off.

On, on, on and on. There is no good reason not to keep both the lens cover and gimbal stabilizer in place when you are not flying.

lsteigerwalt said:
Alright gang, Im getting my second P2V+ in today and have to ask the masses. Do you leave the lens cover off or put it on each time your done storing, and same goes for the gimbal lock...on or off? I keep my bird stored in a hard case and think the gimbal lock should be on for support during transport but as long as she is flat and stationary Im thinking burn the bra!!!

I always remove lens cover, followed by gimbal lock.

When installing, I install gimbal lock, then install lens cap.

I figure the gimbal lock helps stabilize things against potential damage while removing/installing the cap.

I would worry about accidentally powering-up the bird before removing the gimbal lock. Could this be one of the causes of the out-of-level camera condition? I'm thinking that if the gimbal motor oscillates just a little bit during power-up that it might cause the camera mount to slip on the motor shaft. This event happening a couple times might permanently loosen the shaft orientation with the camera?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie