LED lights for painting with light

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just ordered a 6' battery powered LED light strip that I intend to use on my P4P to take photos of with a camera on bulb setting. My plan is to tape the light strip on a 3' long dowel rod doubling it than attaching it to the landing gear rear then mount the battery via Velcro to the body forward in a place that might balance the bird.
Any thoughts would be appreciated as to using such an approach.

Thoughts such as.... Should the drone take off normally with a 3' rod weighing less then 8 oz. attached to it? Flight characteristics might be effected how? Is this a really bad idea?

I’m pretty sure on your P4P that the compass sensors are in the landing gear. So, you may experience compass issues not resolvable via calibration. Worst case scenario, all is good until you take off, and then a bouquet of errors and then forced ATTI mode.

Best case scenario, all goes well with no issues, and it looks cool. Just be careful if you try.

Are you talking about using the drone as a light source to paint something for a camera mounted on a tripod? In order to paint with light, the camera must remain perfectly still during the exposure. I've done thousands of those photos, and if I even bumped the tripod with the light, the photo was unusable. The second problem is figuring the exposure. Today's automatic cameras won't do that for you on a bulb exposure.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I’m pretty sure on your P4P that the compass sensors are in the landing gear. So, you may experience compass issues not resolvable via calibration. Worst case scenario, all is good until you take off, and then a bouquet of errors and then forced ATTI mode.

Best case scenario, all goes well with no issues, and it looks cool. Just be careful if you try.
Thank you for that advice Brockrock! I knew I was missing something.
I really want to do it, but not at expence of my drone.

Are you talking about using the drone as a light source to paint something for a camera mounted on a tripod? In order to paint with light, the camera must remain perfectly still during the exposure. I've done thousands of those photos, and if I even bumped the tripod with the light, the photo was unusable. The second problem is figuring the exposure. Today's automatic cameras won't do that for you on a bulb exposure.
I've been doing light painting for years and have that end covered, it's mounting lights on the drone that has me concerned.

Reactions: olfart
What do you think of the lighted rod being mounted bottom center of the skids with the battery mounted dead center?
If there is a hint of loosing the drone, I will not proceed!

There was a user in these forums that painted a heart (if my memory serves) and I believe that he just let the red lights on the drone.
I'll see if I can find the thread and post a link.

This isn't the one that I remember, but it's all I could find with a quick search.
Light Painting

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav